Newly developped anti-fog tech revealed by MIT researchers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi!
I thought this might be interesting for all you glass wearing people out there :D

This might be something that we'll actually see and use in the near future, as it was developped by MIT researchers and presented to the ACS (American Chemical Society), both of which are respected organizations (aka: not the infomercial types hehe).

Full Story:
http://www.azonano.com/news.asp?newsID=1312

Fish

As an eyeglass wearer I have had many a day when fogging put me in the "can't see without 'em, but can't see with 'em, either" dilemma. So this technology seems to promise a real boon.

(In the meantime, the antifogging solution that's worked best for me has nothing to do with coating the lenses. My eye doc recommended spectacles with lighter frames and smaller lenses to improve eyeball-area ventilation, and that did the trick. Mostly, anyhow.)

G.

As a researcher and life-long glasses wearer:
Looks interesting, but there is a long way between the lab and a successful product.

Looks like it is another way to do the pre-coat one's glasses (goggles, etc) with a soap solution trick--the condensed water wets the surface and spreads out rather than sitting as individual droplets.

Doug

DougPaul said:
As a researcher and life-long glasses wearer:
Looks interesting, but there is a long way between the lab and a successful product.

Looks like it is another way to do the pre-coat one's glasses (goggles, etc) with a soap solution trick--the condensed water wets the surface and spreads out rather than sitting as individual droplets.

Doug

Well except that in this case the coating would seem to be truly permenant since accumulated water won't dissolve the coating as it would eventually a soapy film type application.

Interesting approach since most or all other anti fog coatings operate in just the opposite fasion by creating a super-hydrophobic coating which in theory will cause water do bead and roll off. :cool:

BLE said:
Well except that in this case the coating would seem to be truly permenant since accumulated water won't dissolve the coating as it would eventually a soapy film type application.
Yes, essentially a built-in wetting agent.

Doug