North/South Lake Campground

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkdog

Reaction score
Is there any camping allowed in this area this time of year? If not, any suggestions close by to car camp?

North/South Lake Campground is closed in the winter. There was a similar question asked last year on another forum in THIS THREAD.

Hope that helps.

Theres some spots to car camp, but none close to N/S Lake. Are you familiar with Sundown, which is on the Peekamoose Rd, Ulster County Rt42.

This is some more information of the informal primitive campsite near Colgate Lake. It is at the first of three parking areas along County Route 78 east from East Jewett (shown on NYNJTC map #41). It is approximately at the cross hair on this topozone map. I have never camped there, but I have seen tents of hunters and car campers many times. There is a port-a-john north of the road at the 2nd parking area (near the Colgate Lake dam). I don't know if the port-a-john stays all winter. Also at the trailhead here, 3rd parking area, there is a large meadow where it should be possible to camp. I suspect the trailhead parking area is the most likely to be well plowed in winter. This area is south of the Blackhead Range and north of Tannersville.

The standard DEC camping rules in the Catskills would apply: Camping is permitted on state owned land, more than 150 feet from any structure, water source, stream, lake, road or trail.

Latest posts