Norwalk CT: IMAX "The Alps" now through Jan 17 (Beernight/day ?)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
This would be a great way to "warm-up" for the winter season. Heck, we could make this an all day lunch, Views & Brews & IMAX experience.
Here's the IMAX info. A Sunday would be cool.
There used to be some decent places to eat and drink by the theater, don't know how the hiking there is though.

Anyone like to suggest a date ?

I saw this in Syracuse yesterday, it was amazing! I really want to go to Europe now. IMO they spent too much time discussing the main characters attempt at Eiger. However, the scenery was breathtaking, and it definitely put our "mountains" into perspective

I've been waiting to see this thing for a year. The Museum of Science in Boston lists it as "coming soon" but I think they are doing renovations to their theatre until late November....

Chip said:
Anyone like to suggest a date ?

21Oct???

I heard the New England Brewery is not there anymore. :mad:

Nice, I'm right around the corner from this one.
This is the IMAX about the John Harlin III story... how he went back to do the Eiger Nordwand after his father died on it years ago.

The IMAX theatre there is in the Maritime Center and it's in SoNo (South Norwalk) - a kickin' area with lots of bars, restaurants, and a very nice kayak shop down the street. Not too much hiking in the area - although there is paddling. ;)

read the book - good stuff, I liked the accounts of his dad doing his climbs in the 1950's, etc.. the stuff these guys werre doing back then with the primitive gear, etc.. really makes appreciate the skill, etc..

north face of the eiger is pretty hardcore I would say, but then again clint eastwood chased a dude up it and and got in a fight - can't be that hard :p

can't wait til the flick comes north

Puck said:
Sunday Feb 10 would work, a bit late for a winter warm-up though, and we may still be thawing out from Katahdin.

There are some parks near there, maybe a snowshoe/ski outing or some ice climbing in the morning, lunch and BEERS in South Norwalk and then "The Alps" late afternoon.

north face of the eiger is pretty hardcore I would say, but then again clint eastwood chased a dude up it and and got in a fight - can't be that hard

And then theres a ski slope at the base of it... (Wengen)..

Jay

giggy said:
north face of the eiger is pretty hardcore I would say, but then again clint eastwood chased a dude up it and and got in a fight - can't be that hard :p
Carrying a 6 pack, to boot !

giggy said:
can't wait til the flick comes north
You ain't that far north, but your car doesn't have a "South" gear, as I recall.

giggy said:
One of the "real" climbers died working on that film...

Doug

Last edited:
I think the only Blizzard you will find in November will be from a Dairy Queen!!! :)

CBCBD is right, I doubt there is a lot of coastal mountains but Norwalk is a good paddling destination. Also, Sleeping Giant Mt is somewhere around there, if I'm not mistaken...

Jay

Chip said:
November after a blizzard would be great. During a blizzard might be better.
Blizzards? Ok, now you're just joking around... ya remember last winter, right? ;)
Granted, in '05 we did have that freak NW CT snow that dumped 1' of snow up there - man, that was cool.

Jay H said:
CBCBD is right, I doubt there is a lot of coastal mountains but Norwalk is a good paddling destination. Also, Sleeping Giant Mt is somewhere around there, if I'm not mistaken...
There could be some hiking kind of in the area - Newtown, Shelton, and there is a park in Norwalk I think is known for biking... The CT Blue book should show these.
Sleeping Giant is in New Haven... 30-45min NE from Norwalk on I-95.

And I wish there were ice climbing... but Nov in CT? not likely, and not down here near the coast. Rock climbing in Armonk, NY... yes.

cbcbd said:
And I wish there were ice climbing... but Nov in CT? not likely, and not down here near the coast. Rock climbing in Armonk, NY... yes.

now this is an idea.

Sleeping Giant is almost in my backyard and somewhat of a haul for Southern Fairfield County.

Sounds like we won't be able to make it for a VFTT showing (drats), but thanks for posting this. I didn't realize there was an Alps IMAX and would love to see it. I think we might make the drive to go to the aquarium and show.

pudgy_groundhog said:
Sounds like we won't be able to make it for a VFTT showing (drats), but thanks for posting this...
:confused: WAIT A SECOND...We haven't decided on a date ! How do you know you can't make it ??? :p

It's looking like the first Sunday in November, the 4th, might work. No snow or ice is forecast :( but cold water paddling, in-door rock climbing or a local Blue Dot hike might work that morning. A late lunch in South Norwalk and a 3 or 4pm show. WHAT SAY YOU ???

Chip said:
It's looking like the first Sunday in November, the 4th, might work.

If this is the date, Carla and I are in. The 3 or 4pm show on Sunday sounds good. We'll come up Saturday afternoon to play tourist. What's the Aquarium like?

Rob

Hey Chip, I sent you an email, I should be able to make this with a soon to be future VFTT member... the 3 or 4pm show would work, just thought I'd make this official, I've emailed you already... it's been awhile!

Jay

i12climbup said:
If this is the date, Carla and I are in. The 3 or 4pm show on Sunday sounds good. We'll come up Saturday afternoon to play tourist. What's the Aquarium like?

Rob

This is the date. Nov 4th, 3 or 4pm movie. Late lunch and drinks across the street in South Norwalk at 1 or so. There's an indoor Rock Gym in Stamford that might be fun in the morning. There is Long Island Sound paddling opps right there at the IMAX/Aquarium. I have not checked the Blue Dot book yet for trails, but I'm thinking it's thin and dull near there.

Rob, the Aquarium is okay , more of a museum tour beginning with stream, working into LI Sound type tanks - don't think Boston or Mystic. The two blocks of South Norwalk that contain the bars, restaurants and the IMAX/Maritime Aquarium is scenic and used to have some nice shops, but DO NOT WANDER in the neighborhood, it gets depressed fairly quickly if you're in the wrong direction.