Norwalk CT: IMAX "The Alps" now through Jan 17 (Beernight/day ?)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that link. Hey, did you know that John Harlin III will be there the following weekend?

Any recommendations on motels and hotels in the area? Price is not a concern. Will research it more this weekend .....

WAIT A SECOND...We haven't decided on a date ! How do you know you can't make it ???
Well, it was sounding like it was going to be November or later (which it is) and I figure I shouldn't be venturing too far from my doctor and hospital so close to my due date. I hear car rides are pretty hellish when you're in labor. :p

Chip said:
There's an indoor Rock Gym in Stamford that might be fun in the morning.
FYI, Go Vertical (Stamford gym) closed on June 28th this past year. Closest gyms to the area are in New Rochelle, NY, Valhalla, NY, and Wallingford, CT.

Is there any place to camp or car camp there or sleep in the car? I gather there is probably no backcountry camping location... and the Norwalk islands are permit only..

Maybe go paddling on saturday, unless my friend comes up with me...

Jay

i12climbup said:
Hey, did you know that John Harlin III will be there the following weekend?
The CT AMC has scheduled an "outing" there that day, which is how I found out about the movie. I don't know if they invited him in, cool anyway.

Lots of hotels in the area, I'd tend towards Westport in that area, nice nice area, more shops and stuff.

pudgy_groundhog said:
I hear car rides are pretty hellish when you're in labor.
Yeah, that and the fact that there's no hospitals in CT... :eek: ;)
Congratulations to you ! I didn't know.

cbcbd said:
FYI, Go Vertical (Stamford gym) closed on June 28th this past year. Closest gyms to the area are in New Rochelle, NY, Valhalla, NY, and Wallingford, CT.
DOH ! I did not know that. :mad:

Jay H said:
Is there any place to camp or car camp there or sleep in the car? I gather there is probably no backcountry camping location.
No, and it's not an area to car camp in. I wonder what's involved with the island permits, that'd be neat.

Anyone who wants could do something by me on Saturday and stay here. There'd be only 1 Guest Bedroom, but plenty of floor, yardspace and hot and cold water.

Chip said:
Lots of hotels in the area, I'd tend towards Westport in that area, nice nice area, more shops and stuff.

Looking at the Hilton Garden Inn in Norwalk. It's right on Main Ave, Route 7. Just a few miles north of South Norwalk.

My wife is really looking forward to this, and to meeting some new VFTT friends. :)

Jay H said:
Is there any place to camp or car camp there or sleep in the car? I gather there is probably no backcountry camping location... and the Norwalk islands are permit only..
Hmm... I believe there is a Wallmart in Norwalk, and don't they usually let people stay overnight in their lots?

The Norwalk islands camping permit system is a little weird. It's 1st come 1st serve and you can only reserve it 2 Tuesdays before your intended weekend - in person. I don't think it will be booked even if you showed up the day of since it's so off season now... but of course I can't be totally sure. In total I think there are 12 sites on Shea and 4 sites on Grassi - Shea is more popular. I think it's $15 for non-locals/night.

Puck said:
21Oct???
:
:confused: I just realized you meant Oct 21st. I thought it was some sort of code for 2/10 in CT. What are you on, man ?

cbcbd said:
The Norwalk islands camping permit system is a little weird.
I called the town and no permits or reservations are required after Columbus Day, and it's okay to camp gratis. So this could be a paddling/free island camping/views&brews/IMAX weekend. :)

How exposed is the trip to the Norwalk Islands from calf pasture beach. It appears to be free off-beach season which I'm sure on Nov 4th, it wont be beach season...

The Norwalkct website says camping is available by permit only from April to Columbus Day, but it doesn't say whether the camping is OPEN for the other dates like Nov 4th or if it's open but no permit needed... Not exactly clear on the website. If anybody knows for sure, let me know, otherwise, I guess I'll have to call the harbor commission again...

Jay

I spoke to a woman in Park and Rec who said it's fine to camp there off season. If the weather looks okay I think it'd be great to paddle out to Grassy or Shea and camp. The description indicates Shea's shoreline is "strewn with rocks and boulders". Shea is larger and has a big cove. Grassy is much smaller and closer. It's shoreline description is "composed of smaller gravel, sand and silts". The whole string looks pretty well protected as there are other islands outside the major ones.

Jay H said:
How exposed is the trip to the Norwalk Islands from calf pasture beach. It appears to be free off-beach season which I'm sure on Nov 4th, it wont be beach season...
Not very exposed. Very short paddle to Grassi from Calf Pasture (20min?). Shea is a little farther away.
Grassi has 4 camping spots - the nicest one, IMO, is to the right side of the island as you're coming in from calf pasture - it sorts of sits up high and you get a nice view out to long island. Not too much sandy area around Grassi, especially out of high tide.
Shea has 12 spots and is the more popular one for camping - probably because it has a beach area. A little farther away to get to and the best place to land is on the backside facing LI where there is a sandy beach area.

I'm sorry to see you will all be in my backyard and I'll be tied up with family visiting that weekend.