NY DEC rangers airlift hypothermic hiker between Marcy and Gray Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the route that you're not supposed to take, to protect the vegetation? Or am I thinking of Skylight? (I don't know the ADK's very well)

Sabrina,

There is a non-official herd path( matter of opinion on how well defined it is) between the summit ridge of Gray Pk and Marcy.
There has been an effort to discourage use of the route in the last few years - once you drop into the gully that crosses between the peaks, you come out onto the rocks and fragile vegetation on the way to Marcy's summit.
This used to be a standard way to connect the peaks, less so recently.
With feet of snow on the ground, an environmentally safer time to travel it, but that only encourages non winter travel.

Is that the route that you're not supposed to take, to protect the vegetation?
You are correct. The Rangers and the Stewards actively discourage using it, to the point of removing cairns that lead in that direction, and in discussions with hikers at the Marcy summit.

In spite of this, I've been told there was a pretty well-defined herd path there, but maybe not. Which, aside from this incident, is a good thing.

I've never used it, but I've been told that you really don't save much if any time using it, versus taking the trail around to Lake Tear and the herd path to Gray, which is below tree line.

Alan: The picture COULD be Sabrina, but it's not! :p

I've been back and forth on it a number of times, before the increase in HPs traffic and sharing info on hiking boards.
Not to be politically incorrect or encouraging use, but it saved a lot of
time(or at least it did) before it's use was discouraged. In winter, with 6' or 8' of hard packed snow, you'd be out in the open in both directions.

Was never a good way to go for those unfamiliar with the rapidly changing conditions or visibility above treeline unless a hiker had the bearings and reciprocal bearings dialed and ready to go.

Michael, sorry for confusing you with Sabrina( dog avatar and all). ;>)

Every spring I make the trip towards Marcy from Four Corners for the sole purpose (as requested by DEC) of removing cairns leading to the beginning of the herdpath from every direction. I have been told this summer that said herpath is becoming more and more difficult to follow and quite time-consuming.
In late winter when only the very top of the trees are showing through the snow it’s a well used route to Gray from Marcy, even though I believe the alpine vegetation of section from herpath to summit of Marcy is suffering some shredding from our winter aggressive winter gear. Obviously it’s not the only above tree line alpine meadow suffering from winter climbers walkabouts.

These past few days we encountered mini snow storm on two summits, it got us wet and cold but we had the proper gear and knew where we were. This morning Giant’s Eastern slides are completely white!

Someday I'll change my avatar and this banter will make no sense. :)

Thanks for the explanation, I thought that route rang a bell in my memory.

Michael St. Laurent speaks with rescuers after being airlifted from the Grouse Mountain wilderness Sunday (British Columbia-CAN). He had been lost in the forest for nine days:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/travel/Lost+hiker+scrawled+name+hope+faltered/5612032/story.html

Gosh, honest account. Really shows how things can change quickly. I'm not at all familiar with Grouse Mountain but it sounds as though its very remote if he could be the only one out there in nine days on a 15km loop? Or did he leave the trail?

Two stories showing the in-between season is the most challenging! Mind and body do not want or cannot let go of summer conditions instantly but "weather" sure can.

I've been on Grouse. The terrain is wicked steep and very thick.

Here's what makes this amazing:
The south flanks of Grouse Mountain *abut* the city of North Vancouver. The summit is no more than a mile (horizontal) from row upon row of houses.

9 days it took him to be rescued, that close to civilization.

Up on Grouse you've the got ski area. If you go west you hit the lake or the power line cut, east you hit the access road or the river, and north, well ... you're going a LONG way before you hit anything if you go north.

Verification done: it wasn't Scotzman.

If you take a look at the map, Gray has two summit bumps. There is a very well defined herd path between the two and it leads towards Marcy. I assume it peters out after a certain distance.

The sign is on the west bump, however the views of Marcy from the easternmost bump are profoundly beautiful. It seems as if you could reach out and touch her delicate flanks. However, a bushwhacker's eye follows the terrain and notes the difficult thickness between.

I agree with Cory that the rangers saved this hiker's life.

"However, a bushwhacker's eye follows the terrain and notes the difficult thickness between."

Too bad you weren't there with him!:D