old hikers home

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ed Stanley

I'm so sorry to hear he passed away. We spent most of the day with him and he was such an inspiration. There was just a certain spirit about him I'll never forget. I'll think about him now whenever I am hiking especially when I 'm up in the brothers. Thanx for the info on he and his wife - they are together now and that's how it should be.

I am hoping for the Glen Cliff Rest Home (Grafton County), where they blow a loud whistle at 4 pm every day that can be heard most of the way up the Glen Cliff Trail. Perhaps I will be able to continue some volunteer maintenance work on the GCT in my senility, and just follow the sound of the whistle when it is time to head home for supper.

Rock of Ages Home for Old Climbers

This thread reminded me of a funny piece by Warren Harding titled, "Reflections of a Broken-down Climber". It was in a book titled, "The Armchair Mountaineer".

It starts with:

"As I sit on the veranda of my quarters at T. M. Herbert's Rock of Ages Home for Old Climbers, enjoying my graham crackers and warm milk, I think about the past eighteen years... my rise and fall as a rock climber... what a fine person I used to be... where did I go wrong?"

He then reminisces about his epic climb of El Capitan's Wall of the Early Morning Light, consuming great quantities of cheap wine, his opinion of Royal Robbins, to bolt or not to bolt, etc.

It finishes with:

"Perhaps this turned-off feeling will pass; the relaxed atmosphere in the foothill location of Rock of Ages is conducive to mending the soul. It's good to be in such fine company: Al Steck and Steve Roper sitting at a table playing checkers, mind and vision too dim to cope with the rigors of Chess... Chuck Pratt whiling away the hours conducting some imaginary symphony orchestra. Truly beautiful to see Earth Mothers, Jan and Beryl, bustling about in their long pioneer gowns, looking after the old fellows...
The sun is slowly sinking. Another day is drawing to a close. All the old climbers are putting away their toys and games, soon will be drifting off to their quarters to await the cheery call to dinner. Perhaps some of the more daring will have a small glass of Red Mountain.
I remain in my chair a bit longer - I try to probe further back through the years... before the Wall of the Early Morning Light... but it all seems like "I've seen this before"... always the good guys versus bad guys. Maybe I should have played cowboys and Indians; only trouble is, I'd surely have been an Indian!"

The book is full of short pieces by many famous and infamous climbers.

:cool:

Replacements:

SleepNumber beds with inflate-til-you're-happy Thermarest pads
Bedpans or Depends with a pee bottle
Mattress pad with double layer of polarfleece
Private room in nursing home with free standing dome tent on top of aforementioned replaced bed

And who needs dentures if we eat oatmeal, cream of wheat, ramen noodles, and instant pudding?!

I am volunteering to be the first "OHH" nurse. How much sweeter could retirement be.
Will the home have accomodations for our elderly four legged hiking buddies??? They will most likely be too old to cause much trouble. Brutus (or his successor) could be their group leader. ;)
Instead of "day rooms" where we make crafts and play cards we could have group hikes! We could hire some SAR folks to accompany us on our adventures. WE would of course all wear those special "alarm" bracelets.
Walkers with off road tires! What a neat idea.:D These would most definitely be a major asset. We could have special crampons made that would attach to the tires for winter activities.
Perhaps a few lhammas to carry our packs. ( I could use one now.)
Do you suppose they would let us have Barnes Field for our new facitility?
And the AMC could run a free "senior hiker shuttle."
Yes indeed. I look forward to this. Count me in!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D