Open house at Slabsides

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Hey y'all. My first post. I just got into the Catskills after living in New Paltz 4 years, and now can't get enough-12 summits in my first month, 10 of 'em high peaks. Found out about this fine site from Mark S, who I met on Slide's summit a couple weeks ago.

Anyhow, some of you may already know, but I believe there should be an open house at Slabsides on Saturday, October 2nd. According to www.johnburroughs.org it's only open twice each year, and one of those times is the first Saturday of October. For those that don't know, Slabsides is where the legendary and beloved John Burroughs wrote, retreated, entertained, etc. I believe there's a small nature preserve there now. It's in West Park, NY about half way between Highland and Kingston, off of Route 9W. I don't know the name of the road, but there's a historical marker visible on RT 9W. The open house should be 11-4. There may be more info at the above website. Hope to see some of you there. Maybe we can hike after!

Welcome to the forum! Just wanted to add that I've been to the open house years past and it's definitely worth going to. There are tours and speakers (Bill McKibben was one in the past) and it is extremely interesting.
ecc

Good to see you found this site and that you like it. I have also been to the Slabsides open house and agree that it well worth the visit. There are a few short trails around the cabin and over to Sanctuary Pond. If you are looking for more hiking after Slabsides some very close hiking trails are at Shaupeneak Ridge and the Black Creek Forest. Both of those web pages have online trail maps. I am hoping to be in the Adirondacks that weekend, but it is too early to know for sure if I can get away.

Thanks for both of the replies. I'd planned on maybe just stopping by Slabsides for an hour or so, and then perhaps going for a hike, but if there's speakers, etc. I may hang out longer. If I'm there well into the afternoon, I won't have time for a long drive, so I'll probably take a stroll around Black Creek. I've hiked up Shaupaneak Ridge twice, and found it very rewarding for not much work. The waterfall is nice, and it's generally a relaxing hike. I want to do it again after the leaves are gone, so as to get the view of the river. I've been driving up and down 9W several times a week for the past two years for work, and I only recently discovered this fine little bit of nature just off the road.