Optimus stoves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls! I have two old stoves, an Optimus 111B and a Svea 123, both oldy but goodies (like me!) Does anyone know where I can get parts/service? I know the parent company is still in business somewhere, but I don't see them in the catalogs anymore. I am cosidering retiring them but if I can fix them I may keep for old time sake. Thanks, Stu.

Last edited:
I have a 30 year old 8R that the rubber gasget final dried out on.
I bought another on ebay recently for about $10 more than I paid for the first.
My "new" 8R is in MUCH better shape and I now can use the old one for parts.
It's no longer my main backpacking stove, but it still burns like the sun when we need a second or back-up. :D

Ebay!

Chip, thats an idea I had'nt considered. Thanks, I'll keep it in mind! Stu

AntlerPeak

Excellent information. I love my old stoves, as I'm sure you do, but they both need a tune-up. Almost had a bomb at the perch last week!

I hope it helps, REI used to sell the repair kits perhaps they still do. I have been using a coleman peak 1 the last few years. It's rather heavy but the darn think is a workhorse. On a weekend trip the peak 1 with a full tank has always been enough without the need to bring extra fuel. I am glad I didn't drag it when I did the NE---AT. I used the Optimus for that, it is still a great stove.

Wow! talk about sticker shock. I went back to look over the above web site they are asking $90. for the 8R and $80. for the Svea 123. But they do have every part for these stoves and several others. I guess if you need a part you need a part and it is good you can still get them. Those old relics of mine are going to get more respect now that I see the replacement prices.

Last edited:
first stove i ever owned!!

gotta love the trusty optimus 8r.
still have mine too!
that stove NEVER failed me.
i once bought the soviet or was it the chinese version in nepal back in 87,traded it for a hand painted tapestry in pushkar india when i didn't feel like carryin' it anymore!! :D :D :D :D :D

How strange is that?!

stu said:
Excellent information. I love my old stoves, as I'm sure you do, but they both need a tune-up. Almost had a bomb at the perch last week!

Wow, just what I was thinking about when you started this thread! During our trip this year, the wind was a little high at The Perch, so I used the aluminum-foil windscreen from the little alcohol stove I was trying out, except I used it on my 8R. Well, it worked so well that within a minute, it overheated things and we had a three-foot jet of flame coming off the fuel-tank vent. Burned right through the aluminum foil and scared the hell out of my friend and me. A quick twist of the key and the flow was shut down. Had never seen that before, and a lesson got learned!

Another tangent for you....

Strange! Lessons learned.

Yea, worked fine until it was near out of gas, then it started to flamea little at the cap which I kept blowing out, then it started shooting flames. I threw the stove a few feet away and it became engulfed in flame but surprisingly enough, just a few drops of water and it was instantly extinguished. After cool down and a refill I used my leatherman pliers to tighten the cap and it worked perfect for the rest of the trip. I think the gasket (30 years) had dried out. Several lessons here, but seeing those few drops of water put out the fireball really surprised me and 2) the leatherman came through for me big time! As in some recent threads, I debated taking it due to its weight, but you can't beat the pliers for fixing things. I'm sold, I won't think of not taking them again (on an overnite trip). Lastly, I remember several winter trips years ago where we used a stove inside the tent. I would definitly think twice before doing that again!

--M. said:
except I used it on my 8R... A quick twist of the key and the flow was shut down. Had never seen that before, and a lesson got learned!

Worst burn I've ever had was from pulling the white-hot key from a flaming 8R. :eek:
Key pattern tatoos on my pointer and thumb, like the kung-fu dude with the hibachi. ;)

Thanks

A lot of good stuff. I should be all set now! Thanks to all that responded. Stu