Osceola - this Sat. 6/5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
Anyone want to hike Osceola this Sat, 6/5?

I could be at the trailhead ~ 9:00.

- darren

I'm at school teaching right now and at a loss for details on availability but it sounds inviting.

How Fast? You've seen me, I'm not a record breaker.
Mohammed's site;book times for Osceola

Shows 4-6 hours depending on the route.
I have stayed true to his predictions when I climbed Tecumsa.

Let me know young guy.

Barry

Last edited:
I was just think of doing the main peak from Tripoli Rd. I just want to get in a short hike in Southern whites. I'm in slow mode right now, which will probably be book time or a little faster. I dont really care about the pace. Just want to get out in the woods.

- darren

Once you are there you just gotta run over to East Osceola. Sure it's some extra work, and there is that one tricky section with the scramble up the chimney, and there's no views at all on East Osceola..., um, what was I saying?

Seriously, take the run over to East Osceola if you have the time. It's a nice walk in the woods.

-dave-

Darren,

Is that a sure thing for 9:00 AM on Saturday?

I'm up for for one or both of both Osceolas. I’m thinking of staying over one night, possibly at Russell Pond, and going up Tecumseh from Tripoli Road the day before or after.

I can't this weekend (family event), but I'm planning on doing both on 6/12 so if your plans fall through and you want a rematch...

Dave I hear ya on East peak - I've done it before. It's a nice trail and I enjoy the chimney. and you can almost sort of somewhat get a view through the trees down towards Greeley Ponds. Almost.

9:00 tomorrow is my plan. I'm going to drive up tonight and plan on camping at Osceola Vista CG. I'll be at the trailhead on Tripoli Rd around 9.

Barry & John - let me know if you can make it. I'll be leaving here ~ 1:00 this afternoon. Anyone else can just look for a grey truck with a VFTT sticker on it.

- darren

Darren, I'm still not sure if I'm coming up tonight or early tomorrow but I will be at the Tripoli Road trailhead at 9:00 AM.

After your Osceola hike:
I will hopefully be stopping in at the Woodstock Tavern around 3:00 (hopefully) for a quick one before doing a nighttime Franconia Ridge hike. If you are done by then, drop in and say hi (I'll be gone by 3:30 to meet Gris at Cannon)

Note: If anyone feels like a nighttime hike, we leave OBP/Falling Waters at 4:00-4:15. We should be easy to spot: we'll be the only ones headed up :)

I'll be on Chocorua tomorrow, but I'll see a few of you perhaps at the Woodstock Inn. Sherpa - wish I could do Franconia - but I'm leading a couple of hikes this weekend.

-LK

Sorry I missed ya, but...

...I sure had fun with you guys on Friday night. Was laying in my tent Sat morning, thinking that I would join you, but lately I have had this urge to only do hikes that I have not done yet. I have been up Osceola, so I decided I would go up to Cannon from the Kinsman Ridge Trail. I heard that it is a b#ll buster, and that is what I needed.

Unfortunately, in my rush to leave my site, I locked my keys in my car. Man, what a pissa that was. The camp host(s) and myself spent about an hour working on opening the door. No luck.

I walked around Russell Pond while waiting for the locksmith. He showed up (super cool dude), and after opening my door we agreed to meet up in Lincoln so I could give him cash. I drove away, got a sandwich at G&H Pizza and waited, and waited, and waited...

So to make my day even more odd and unpredictable, some guy drives up in a jeep, hops out, and tells me he is there to collect the money because the locksmith's truck broke down as he was leaving the campground.

At this point (2:30pm), I was so wound up that I ended up basically running up Kinsman Ridge Trail. I never knew that I was in such good shape. Made it to the top in a little over an hour. Great day, super cool people, and most of all it was completely strange.

Hope we can do it again, and I promise I will join you on your hike next time.