Osprey Talon 33 users + snowshoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I know there are a few of you out there that use this pack (color is not important :p), what do you do to carry snowshoes with this pack?

The last time I did (climbing up Chicken Coop Brook between Saddleback and Basin in winter) when we switched to crampons, I stuffed the tails in the outer pouch and very awkwardly used a biner to biner the tops of my Northern Lites to the carry handle. However, I've found that afterawhile, the tails of my snowshoes would get pulled out from the pouch and my snowshoes would simply be dangling from the carry handle. There is no daisy chain or outer straps that I could see to be used but I'm wondering if the secret is to make one, kind of DIY.

Just curious what others here perhaps who use this pack in winter, do with carrying snowshoes.

Also, I sometimes carry water in the sidepockets too, maybe another reason I should try for an insulated hydration bladder and then perhaps try the side pockets....

Jay

I put my MSRs in the front flap -- the stretchy pocket-thingy. I then thread the strap through the MSRs -- it just makes it. Then I use those those little stretchy things on the side that are meant to snug collapsible poles as a fastener, stretching them across the front of the pack and use a 'beener to connect them. Makes an extra little snowshoe-holder-on-er.

OK, I'll try to get a pic....:eek:

PS the stretchy collapsible pole top elastics are crucial..not sure if your model has these, mine is the 2008 model of the pack -- hot chili orange, Baby!

One option that works with all packs is stop by Ragged Mountain and buy a saddle stitcher and sew on a couple of tie down loops or straps in appropriate locations. The stitching tool is handy to keep around for equipment repairs once you have finished installing the custom fit snowshoe straps.

Of course this goes against the use it until it breaks and buy a new one approach ;)

I have those drawstrings on my Osprey but I think they aren't positive locking mechanisms and it could still work it's way loose... and also I think they are mostly on the side of a full pack (mine was) so not sure if they would be long enough....

I think I may jerryrig some kind of bungee to the two loops sewn into the sides. and use that to support the snowshoes, the loops are about the height of the pouch that una_dogger refers to as "the stretchy pocket-thingy" :)

Now if Dunbar and I can invent the dehydrated snowshoe, we could simply pack our snowshoes in the pocket and rehydrate as needed...

Jay

Now if Dunbar and I can invent the dehydrated snowshoe, we could simply pack our snowshoes in the pocket and rehydrate as needed...

Jay

Hmmm...dehydrated snowshoes -- interesting concept! Kinda like those little flat dehydrated kitchen sponge thingies that blow up to be grown up sponges when wetted. :)

So many needs, so many thingy ideas....:rolleyes:

Yes Sabrina, Dunbar and I have thought of a whole cottage industry on dehydrated hiking items, such as a raft. Like when you see a nice runnable stream going where you want to, like say John's brook, (maybe except for bushnell falls), one could simply take out the little pill, put it in the water and poof.... instant raft. That was the first product on our design team. Then we would design automatic televators that would be gyroscope controlled and automatically raise and lower one's televators (if so equipped) based on slope angle. Maybe I'll add the snowshoes to the product design team's agenda.

Tim, nice link, I scanned it last night but didn't look at it closely, Fringe was coming on so I had to bail...

(See what happens when 2 engineers hike?)

Jay

I use the bungee cords that have the ball thing on the end. They work for so many fixes and are cheap and light weight to boot. I usually carry a few extra to give away as "trail gifts" to people I meet who are struggling with gear not staying on. (I have the Osprey Aura 35 and the Atmos 50.)

I have one of those small bungee cords with the balls on the end, I use one for my XC Skis when carrying them to lock the tips together...

Jay

Just an update that I finally was able to run over to Campmor today (and also rake the leaves and do a ton of other chores :p) and almost finished my update. I was going to take a picture but my battery on my digicam needs to be recharged.

Bought 11/16" nylon webbing, 2 pairs of 1" triglides (they didn't have 11/16" or 3/4" and 4 dual tightening 3/4" buckles. and 6' of 11/16" nylon webbing from the climbing dept.

(I also picked up a 20deg Down sleeping bag for $100 on clearance... WooT, Campmor rules!).

Anyway, I used 2 triglides on the lowest compression strap of the Talon 33, basically removing each compression strap and threading the triglide down to the lowest sides. Cut the nylon, burnt the edges and put on the buckles. Done with the lower strap (except to sew the webbing ends once I find my sew kit).

The upper strap, I thought of using the compression strap but I think it's not high enough, figure the higher the strap, the more stable the snowshoes will be so I used those two guy loops on the Talon 33 and simply looped the rest of my webbing in one big circle (no sewing needed!) and put on the other 3/4" buckle. Which means I have a pair of 1" triglides unused. I just need to find my sew kit to sew the ends in and I'll be done but it works well, I drop tested the pack a bit (put the shoes in the pack, toss it off my cat stand.. make sure snowshoes don't fall out, etc. etc.

Maybe once my battery is charged, I'll take some shots...

Jay

OK, here are some pictures, I found my sewing kit/Tent repair kit and sewed it up today... Hope they hold!

A shot of both the lower and upper buckle and a face on shot for the final look..

Hope you all like my kick-ass sewing job on the webbing ends! hahahaha...

And thanks to Tim for pointing out the good idea...

Jay

Last edited: