Osseo vs old Osseo when rerouted?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went down the osseo the first time in years - I could have sworn the last time I did this was 1997 -1998 - maybe 1996 - I recall it being the older trail then - its bugging me - when was this rerouted? Its is a great trail to come down now. someof the folks I was with was saying it may have been 1995 or earlier.

thanks David - thats what someone was saying yesterday - I certainly wasn't on it that far back - hmmm - I must be confusing it - or not remembering correctly. both certailly not out of the question. or maybe just screwed up and took the old one back!! who knows.

oh well

The new route off the Wilderness Trail (now Lincoln Woods Trail) was opened in 1983 when the condo development went in at the former Osseo trailhead. I hiked it before it officially closed and few times after. It was an early part of the "Loon boom."

A friend of mine was on the croo that built the relo, now that you mention the date it makes sense. It must have been when I was an undergraduate because I hiked the new trail the year it opened. I think that's when they did the relo of the start of the Old Bridle Path as well.

-dave-

those were the days my friend

i remember when all that stuff was going on. north conway had an airstrip/no malls, lincoln was a 1 horse town,they were just starting to build the condos and I-93 ended in lincoln and the franconia notch parkway was a dirt road :eek:

school??? what's that???? i was farmin' all day, and playin' the bango!!!!
p.s. wanna go canoein'??? :eek:

I remember hiking the Osseo- Flume- Liberty Spring route that first summer as they were moving the trailheads (and doing my first 4Ks)... very confusing as the Osseo had been rerouted (so intact, just not where the map said) but the bottom 1/4 mile of Liberty Spring was a total mudhole. Had absolutely no idea where we had parked our cars, and road construction made routefinding impossible. Tried to cross the stream at the bottom in the rain and fell in backwards... also learned that day to undo your waistbelt when crossing a tricky stream... :eek: but I digress.