Outdoor movie thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst movie ever made.

Agreed.

What on Earth 🤯
I could not watch this at all. This film was an embarrassment and a disgrace to even mediocre hikers.
Her struggling to get through what resembled the highway median somewhere….
I was well aware of this not being filmed on site in NH but they couldn’t find real snow either?
The best part was my looking up the real story online after and wondering who paid someone a lot of money to create this garbage
A good story but a lousy Movie. I think your "Real snow" comment sums it up. "Hokey" is the word I would use. Unfortunately, it seems as if some producers are just out to make a buck and try to over sensationalize content to do so. If you are already a climber and you see stuff like this, it's not hard to see through the hockiness.

In December 2023, Patagonia Films came out with a wonderful half-hour documentary called "Range Rider."

Free, on Youtube.

The movie follows a young gent who is hired, in effect, to be a shepherd, staying between cattle and wolves on public lands. It is stunningly respectful to all sides of an emotional issue of wolf re-introduction on public lands that are rented out for cattle grazing.

Really nice little movie!

“Mountain Queen: The Summits of Lhakpa Sherpa”

A new documentary about snout about the woman who has summited Everest more times than any other.

I heard her talk once. She lives in Connecticut the rest of the year.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81719138
We made it about 15 minutes on this one and bailed. Her accomplishments are great but her self absorbed personality was annoying.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/08/...-share&referringSource=articleShare&sgrp=c-cb

As of August 11, 2024, there is a new movie in theaters called “The Good One.”

“Lily Collias delivers an extraordinary lead performance in this exquisite debut feature about a camping trip and a moment of self-realization.”

A bit from the NYT review:

“
“Good One” is a drama about human relationships, but it starts with close-up shots of plants and insects, setting the scene in more ways than one. Yes, the characters will spend most of the movie in the woods, and high summer in upstate New York is quite literally full of dirt, bugs and leafy canopies. But contemplating the rich greens and earthy red-browns, I found myself pondering life cycles, the mutating forms and constant shifts of the natural world — and of human life, too. I don’t think that’s an accident.
The “good one” of the title is Sam (Lily Collias), who is 17 and on a camping trip with her high-strung father, Chris (James Le Gros), and one of his oldest friends, an underemployed actor named Matt (Danny McCarthy). Matt’s son was supposed to come too, but bailed in a fit of pique, still bitter about his parents’ divorce. So it’s just Sam and the men.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/08/...-share&referringSource=articleShare&sgrp=c-cb

As of August 11, 2024, there is a new movie in theaters called “The Good One.”
I liked this movie, it's very small scale and only tangentially about hiking. They're in the Catskills, and the director and cinematographer depict the experience of hiking the trails there pretty well. But it's more about the relationship between the daughter and father. And his friend.

"Fire Lines" A nice little 40 minute movie by Patagonia about a community in northern California wracked by forest fires. The area has mountain bike trails, and the film ostensibly centers on how trails can bring a community together. There is also a subtext to the movie about fatherhood.

My mountain biking buddy liked the movie more than I did, although I still enjoyed it. You don't have to be a mountain biker to enjoy this film, as I think the themes it addresses are those that this hiking forum also cover.

Brian

Latest posts