Owl's Head, Staying On The Grid, 4/20/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
April 20, 2012: Owl’s Head

Trails: Wilderness Trail, Black Pond Trail, Black Pond Bushwhack, Lincoln Brook Trail, Brutus Bushwhack, Owl’s Head Herd Path

Summits: Owl’s Head

Hikers: Mike Lynch, Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Sue and I got started a little later than planned for this one. We arrived at Lincoln Woods to find Mike patiently waiting. Sorry Mike. Roughly a half-hour after the planned start time we were hiking. We crossed the Lincoln Woods suspension bridge and started our warm-up on Wilderness Trail headed to Black Pond trail. We had beautiful conditions for the hike; sunny, warm, and generally dry except for the usual muddy spots.

Roughly 45 minutes after starting we arrived to the first milestone; Wilderness – Black Pond trails junction. We were all warm, too warm, and de-layered before continuing to Black Pond. Our next target was the pond, hopefully a few nice early morning pictures, and then the first bushwhack. On the way to Black Pond there is an open area that is loaded with Trilliums in the spring. As we passed through I noticed a few that were ready to open and lots more coming soon. The place will be loaded with color very soon.

We reached Black Pond, got the usual pictures of Owl’s Head and Bondcliff, and set off for our first bushwhack. A short distance before the end of Black Pond Trail Sue went left off the trail and started to climb the hillside. We were setting up our bushwhack. After gaining a desired amount of elevation we took off on a 340 degree heading to the big turn on Lincoln Brook Trail. I pulled out my primary compass and found the needed had become de-magnetized. Later I learned this is an easy fix. I pulled out my backup and we were on our way. With the unlimited sun there was only a need to check the heading at the start and we used the sun from there to Lincoln Brook Trail. Along the way we had generally dry condition, which is the main reason for taking the high route, in addition to the open hiking through hardwoods. We came upon a couple small muddy areas that were easy to skirt. Before long we were at the top of the same drainage we used on our last time through to drop down to Lincoln Brook Trail. Back on trail we had a quick refreshment, noticed a little blood, (which is not uncommon when bushwhacking in short sleeves), and made the turn for Owl’s Head.

The typically muddy places along the trail were wet but not nearly as wet as usual. We had no trouble staying clean on all of the mud pits. The only area that required a little extra thought was after the final crossing before the slide. There is still a lot of water and mud there but wide left or right does the job.

At the base of the slide we stopped again for a brief break and started up. There was no ice at all and very little running water. Climbing the Owl’s Head slide was little more than just climbing. We slowly made our way up through the open sections and soon were at the top exit headed back into the conifers. Above the slide the ice was gone for part of the climb. The trail was generally clear to the exit elevation for the Brutus Bushwhack. From there to the top of the hill the trail had spotty ice cover but we were able to bare boot the hike to the top with no real problems.

We hit the ridge and headed north to the old and new summit locations. Along the ridge we found some monorail and snow cover but were able to bare boot this section without any trouble as well. We hit the summit, got the usual summit pictures, and it was Snowman Time! Sue went to work. It’s getting late in the season but there is still enough raw material to create a very respectable snowman on Owl’s Head. Sue did her usual great job in leaving a temporary trace in a leave no trace world, we got some pictures, and made our u-turn for the exit walk.

Our descent from the summit followed the herd path back to the big rock and we took off on the Brutus Bushwhack down. At one point I noticed we drifted a little high and made the correction. From there we were generally on track to the top of the skidder road through the birches. We landed on the top of the skidder road, made the turn, and followed it to our final descent via a small drainage. We landed on Lincoln Brook Trail roughly sixty paces from the final crossing below the slide, which is also the location of the worse mud pits on the whole hike.

We re-crossed Lincoln Brook and Liberty Brook; still clean and dry we were cruising for the Black Pond Bushwhack in reverse. As we closed in on the area where we came out on our in-bound bushwhack we were all looking for the actual location. Eventually, we all agreed, made the turn, and started the climb. We needed to re-climb the small ridge above the trail and then our heading would be 160 degrees to Black Pond and the trail. On the return hike we drifted a little high and missed the pond but landed on the Black Pond Trail a short distance below the pond. Everything worked out well.

The remaining hike to Lincoln Woods went without any surprises at all. We cruised Black Pond Trail and then Wilderness Trail to the Lincoln Woods Suspension Bridge. At the lot we all packed our things and said our goodbyes.

Thanks Mike, you’re always a pleasure to hike with and we had a terrific day (a little cooler would have been nice). I hope the Iron Mike and Ribeye were as good as you described.

Thanks Sue. I think this leaves only one more trip to Owl’s Head before we’re done with it. Nice! But, Owl’s Head is still one of my favorites. We’ll go again, I’m sure.

Pictures will follow.

:D

Thanks for the update and pics. I a taking boy scouts into Pemi this week, good to no it is looking good.