Paracord Survival Bracelet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Thought people might find this cool and useful. There are many options other than this link for different braids (this is the cobra braid) and for bracelets with buckles as well. I've made both and used buckles I've cut off old packs, straps, etc.

http://www.backpacker.com/skills-survival-bracelet/slideshows/117

The weave is easy once you've done it a couple of times and played with it. I made a few bracelets out of 1/4 in cord and a longer belt out of 3/8 inch cord. The belt took no longer than an hour to weave but I had to start with a 32 foot piece of cord.

Those of you that hike with dogs could make a dog collar out of these easily with a strap buckle. I'd use 3/8 for that. Make the dog carry the emergency cord. :)

Cool, useful....and the perfect crappy Sunday project for an 8 year old. This project just helped us avoid a melt-down of epic child boredom.

My son is making one right now, and very excited about sharing it with his classmates at school as well as his buddies at "Earthwalk".

Thanks, Raven! You saved the day :)

Survival for 2 Please

Isaac's Handiwork:
survivalfor2.jpg

Cool, useful....and the perfect crappy Sunday project for an 8 year old. This project just helped us avoid a melt-down of epic child boredom.

My son is making one right now, and very excited about sharing it with his classmates at school as well as his buddies at "Earthwalk".

Thanks, Raven! You saved the day :)

Very nice! Glad to help you "survive" what can sometimes be the most challenging of conditions...

I think it's hilarious that EMS sells these for 10 bucks each.

I think I'd just roll up some cord and put it in my pocket. Easier to get to and unravel, and you don't have to worry about getting it hung up bushwhacking and injuring a wrist.

What are the top 10 uses for 8' of paracord? (And do you have time a mobility to unravel the bracelet?)

Tim

I carry two lengths of 15" x 4mm climbing cord and have used them to build a strecther to carry out a hiker with a broken leg.

I also use cord of this type to...
repair a delaminated boot.
tie another pack onto the back of my pack to carry it out.
(in practice) make splints in the WFA course.

John H Swanson said:
I carry two lengths of 15" x 4mm climbing cord and have used them to build a strecther to carry out a hiker with a broken leg.

Who got injured...Barbie or Ken? :D

I'm guessing you mean 15 feet of cord? (For those of you who have seen Spinal Tap, I'm seeing parallels with the Stonehenge scene here... ;))

griffin said:
I like the idea of making a belt instead, since it would replace something I'm already using, and I don't always like wearing things around my wrists.

Speaking of safety belts, I made one for my hiking/climbing pants out of three feet of 1" tubular webbing and a side release buckle. The total cost was less than $2.50, I think, and it has a 4,000 lb. load rating. If I'm in "full emergency bail mode" and run out of anchor material, I can always tie it into a loop using a water knot and rappel off it.

It's kind of fun to make things and adds to the skill set. Last year I learned about cord whipping and splicing and had a turks head knot bracelet made on my wrist.

What are the top 10 uses for 8' of paracord? (And do you have time and mobility to unravel the bracelet?)

Tim

Shoe lace
Secuting a splint
Securing a sling
Fixing broken bindings
Repairing pack straps
Tie things to pack
belt
"Tow" rope
Bear bagging food
Snare
Trip wire
Guy Line for Tent
Securing a makeshift shelter
Making a raft (lashing)
Tourniquet
Stretcher
Tying wrists of woodland criminals

the small inner fibers when unraveled can be sewn with a needle, used as dental floss, for fishing line...

Real paracord is over 500 pound test.

These bracelets unwrap suprisingly fast. Of course, in most emergency situations in the forest, not much happens fast after the incident. The "golden hour" really becomes the "golden day."

I'm sure there are many other uses.

Entertaining children may be the most useful. :)

Also found this:

http://www.fusionknots.com/graphics/gallery/knots/index.html

Click on the knot pictures link and it gives you a video on how to tie that knot.

As to what use does 10 feet of paracord have? Well, all the survival shows I watch stress that paracord (or cordage in general) is probably second only to a good source of fire starting. Honestly I would agree with them. Paracord has millions of uses.

Brian

There, fixed that for ya... ;)

Hey! I'm getting misquoted....and I just gave you rep for the Spinal Tap reference! ;)

BTW, I changed the volume marks on the side of all of my one-liter nalgenes recently. I found I was running out too often, so now they hold 1100 instead of 1000. :D

Edit: on topic....it can be used to practice knot tying.

Last edited:
Also found this:

http://www.fusionknots.com/graphics/gallery/knots/index.html

Click on the knot pictures link and it gives you a video on how to tie that knot.

As to what use does 10 feet of paracord have? Well, all the survival shows I watch stress that paracord (or cordage in general) is probably second only to a good source of fire starting. Honestly I would agree with them. Paracord has millions of uses.

Brian

Then naming your top 10 should be easy :D

Is 8 feet (which the original bracelet quoted) really enough? I have 25' (I think), but not in bracelet form. It is so incredibly useful that it has not left the emergency stuff sack in 5+ years. Neither has any of the fire-starting material :rolleyes:

Tim

It is so incredibly useful that it has not left the emergency stuff sack in 5+ years. Neither has any of the fire-starting material :rolleyes:

Tim

I have a CPR barrier in my first aid kit. Never used it. But IF the day comes I do I will be glad it is there. :D There are probably a whole bunch of items in a persons pack they hardly ever use, but that when the time comes could be just the thing that saves their butts. ;)

Brian