Pellets in a campfire?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
Has anyone ever burned pellet fuel in a campfire? With all those invasive bugs coming in from who knows where I was wondering if it would be worth tossing some pellets (a very few to start) into the ring at the campground for the evening fire. Maybe to supplement to bundle of wood from the local guy's front yard stand?

Or am I being totally silly???

You've used them as fuel or just to get the fire going. I'm talking fuel (heat). Thought is a bucket of pellets, added gradually, could make one of those $4 bundles of camp wood last an evening without carting in a truckload of my own out of state wood.

Although I'm sure my nice Maine wood doesn't have any of those evil Mass bugs!!! :eek:

I've had some memorable experiences stopping at those fringe farm stands for wood. I like the local experience. You're definately not supposed to BYOW anymore. Those pellets are designed to be burned in an engineered stove. Don't know if they'd even burn in a campfire. We've backpacked in a couple of firestarter logs...at least once...probably with beer...good times. :eek:. They'd probably be a better option than pellets, though certainly not a "wilderness" experience. ;)

I've got one of those paper logs from an old house with a useless fireplace but I've got 4 tons of pellets in the garage for my fancy stove. Maybe I'll give it a shot in the yard. Away from trees and dry grass. Yea. It'll probably just smoulder but ya never know...:eek:

I too have a pellet stove and I think pellets will work outside. The one piece of advice I offer is prop the pile of pellets up on something like a metal grate with small holes/spaces or chickenwire.

The stove pulls alot of air in to fuel the burn (user controlled). I think you'll need more oxygen under the pile to keep it going.

Latest posts