Phelps Mt.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Parked at the intersection of the Loj road and South Meadow, because South Meadow still has concrete barriers blocking access. Left the car at 9:30 Sunday morning 4/22 with a fresh inch of snow covering everything. Hiked in South Meadow the 0.9 miles very quickly, signed in with only two other groups ahead of us. My first time taking the haul road, easy to make good time no rocks and easy grades made the dam by 10:30. Signed in at the interior log book with maybe four groups ahead of us, the leaving the dam area the trail was alittle greasy. I thought we were in for muddy trails from there on, but the trail firmed up and were in great shape. The phelps trail had only some muddy sections for this time of the year, again in great shape for bare boots. It was about 45 minutes up the phelp trail before we hit any type of ice, it was only occasional and easily avoided. We summited at 12:30, the snow covered dwarf evergreens were pretty, but that was the only view to be had due to the heavy cloud cover:( The hike out had me draging a little after my winter of no activity, but made the car by 3:30 it was a great start to the hiking season.