Photo Sharing Sites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
It's been quite a while since the last thread dealing with this topic.

Since Webshots is being shutdown soon I need to find a new site. The terms on their fee-based replacement site aren't acceptable. They charge to post and charge to view on their new site.

Is there a free site that will allow posting and viewing?

I have no interest in anything more than the Webshots free site provided.

:confused:

I have been using Picasa Web for a long time and really like the way it integrates with the desktop version of Picasa. Totally free and likely to remain so, it is part of the Google ecosystem.

Last edited:
I switched years ago from Webshots to Picasa, and it is much nicer. For your standard TR, with a link to the pictures (not embedding), the switch will be trivial. For embedded photos, the major difference is that Picasa does not provide a "post in forums" link that automatically creates the image with the link to the picture in the album, i.e., [url=...][img]...[/img][/url]

Tim

I have been using Picassa Web for a long time and really like the way it integrates with the desktop version of Picassa. Totally free and likely to remain so, it is part of the Google ecosystem.

I switched years ago from Webshots to Picasa, and it is much nicer. For your standard TR, with a link to the pictures (not embedding), the switch will be trivial. For embedded photos, the major difference is that Picasa does not provide a "post in forums" link that automatically creates the image with the link to the picture in the album, i.e., [url=...][img]...[/img][/url]

Tim

Mohamed & Tim,

Thanks. I've been thinking Picasa was a good choice.

As far as the "link" functionality is concerned, it's unimportant to me. I usually build the links on the fly as I need them.

Earl,

Here is an example of what you usually do for photos, except in Picasa. You can quote this post to see. There is not a direct "make me a link to the slideshow" but you can click the slideshow button on your album and copy that link. Or, just post the first one, and viewers can hit the slideshow button themselves.

BikeHikeSkiFish's pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Also, if you want to link them on Facebook, there is a way to get a public link (it varies as Facebook is always changing), right now it is via "Share this album" (from the *v menu to the right of "add photos" and "edit") and then copy the link, i.e.,

Here is an album on Facebook

Tim

Last edited:
<Moderator Note>

I moved this to General Backcountry because I think it is of wide enough general interest to the VFTT community - as with other photo sharing threads.

</Moderator Note>

Tim

I have been using Picassa Web for a long time and really like the way it integrates with the desktop version of Picassa. Totally free and likely to remain so, it is part of the Google ecosystem.

Totally free unless going over 1 GB of file space, then a monthly fee is charged. Correct?

I too am fed up with the new Webshots layout, and am looking at Picasa. I have way over 1 GB of photos to put online (12,000+.) If I want to continue sharing all my photos, I think I have to sign up for the fee at Google as I did at Webshots.

Last edited:
I also use Picassa and have been satisfied- except for the fact that if you also have Google+ on your google account, it directs visitors to your Google+ photo page rather than the default Picassa albums. There are ways around it (adding "?noredirect=1" without the quotes to the end of your album URL will allow visitors to view your picassa album instead of your Google+ profile), but it's still annoying.

I pay for the extra storage space (I have over 8,000 photos in 270 albums, mostly from hiking), but it's worth it, IMO. Their prices for storage space are pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
Earl, you can post photos from your Picassa album directly on the forum, like this: (you need to know how, but it is easy)

IMG_4732C.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not picking on anyone's spelling, but the service is Picasa with one s. Google probably knows what you mean, although it does not redirect from picassaweb.google.com (the site is at picasaweb.google.com).

"Picasa" is a blend of the name of Spanish painter Pablo Picasso, the phrase mi casa (Spanish for "my house") and "pic" for pictures (personalized art). (from Picasa).

Tim

After some research, it looks like my best choices are Picasa or Smugmug.

They're not free. With adequate storage, Picasa is $2.50 per month ($30/year) and Smugmug is $40/year.

Picasa can be run as a free account until the free storage limit of 1GB for images is reached. For my usage, the free storage limit would probably be reached in a couple months.

There doesn't appear to be a public-photo-sharing free lunch out there anywhere.

:(

Facebook is close, isn't it???

Yes, it's close.

Unfortunately, I believe you must be a registered Facebook user to view the images posted there. Not everybody is interested in joining Facebook. And, in my opinion the image support there is poor at best.

:rolleyes:

Yes, it's close.

Unfortunately, I believe you must be a registered Facebook user to view the images posted there. Not everybody is interested in joining Facebook. And, in my opinion the image support there is poor at best.

:rolleyes:

I don't know if this is helpful at all. I use Photobucket. You can link directly to an album or use a an IMG code link to individual pictures. I believe there is no limit to the number of pictures you can upload without charge.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc14/Boondeck/

I just went with Photo Bucket. I used it to post my recent backpack to Carter Notch Hut and Wildcat Summnit. Time will tell if it will keep me happy. I believe I read that it takes up to 5000 pics free.

Earl,

If you upload reduced-resolution photos to Picasa, you can get a lot. I do 1600x1200 and that is very viewable on most people's monitors without significant resolution loss. I am currently at 78 albums with 2350 photos (including video) with an average size of 300K totaling 68% of my 1Gb quota...

Also, as long as you set your FB albums to "public", there is a link from which you can share the photos with non FB users. See reply #5 above.

Tim

If you set the photo album to "public" anyone can view the images on Facebook.

Also, as long as you set your FB albums to "public", there is a link from which you can share the photos with non FB users. See reply #5 above.

Tim

Dave & Tim,

Thanks. I've learned something new today.

Facebook looks like an acceptable temporary solution while I take my time in making a decision on a more full-featured photo sharing site.

:)

Don't see it mentioned and I don't get that fancy but I've had good luck with Flickr. 200 picture limit for a free account. $28/year for unlimited. Ability to group pictures into sets. Slide shows. Easy links. Works for me....

Last edited: