Pico Duarte Dominican Republic

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
Pico Duarte is the highest peak in all the Caribbean islands. It lies in the Cordillera Central range, the greatest of the Dominican Republic's mountain chains.

Anyone familiar with this mountain?

Last time I was on vacation I climbed Mt Misery, an old the volcano, on St Kits. In a few weeks I'll be in the DR. This baby is a 10k and a two day 6,000 climb. I don't know if I want to be away from the beach that long. Don't know if I can handle the thin air.

This has always been my top choice of a Caribbean Island to enjoy because of the hiking opportunities. I'd be interested to hear about your experience, tips, etc...and if the Haiti disaster had any impact.

I've been atop a couple of the easier Caribbean high points (Mount Sage, Tortola and Cerra de Punta, PR) and gotta give a big thumbs up to this region's mountains. My initial instinct wants to say to go for it and have a blast, but Pico Duarte is a pretty big undertaking. By the time all is said and done, a climb will consume a good chunk of your vacation. If that's what you want, cool, but if you're looking for a beach vacation, I think this mountain (in terms of planning and psychological energy) is pretty much going to dominate all else. Either way is good, I say. Love the beach, love the mountains. Have fun whatever you do. :)

My wife is Dominican and says we HAVE to this soon...Supposedly a real nice 3-4 day trip

Last edited:
Don't know if I can handle the thin air.
A bit low to worry about elevation, IMHO.

In 2008 I flew from Boston to Switzerland, and spent a few days in the valley at 500 meters (about 1,650 feet) elevation. I then took a bus and then hiked to a hut at 2,928 meters (9,600 feet), slept well at the hut, and hiked over a 3,180 meter (10,400 feet) col the next day.

Less oxygen than at sea level, but within a very short time I had adapted to it.