Semi-Pemi with Owl's Head and the Bonds - September 21, 2024

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhody Seth

Reaction score
It had been a while since I had put together a big day in the Whites that tested my endurance. I was feeling pretty good about my fitness after a summer of running and yoga. A trip of shorter day hikes back in June suggested my legs could hold up pretty well. I wanted to hit Owl's Head and Galehead to close in on my fourth round and decided to make a Semi-Pemi of it. I started at 4:30 AM and was far from the only headlamp in Lincoln Woods at that hour. I ran as much as I could on the way to Owl's Head, opting to skip the Black Pond bushwhack in favor of the Franconia Brook/Lincoln Brook Trails. I figured with the lack of rain it was a good time to check that route out.

As I neared the base of Owl's Head I finally had light and was happy to see the emerging foliage around me. Definitely not peak but beautiful all the same. I went up the Brutus bushwhack which really wore me out. I went down the slide so as not to miss the views of Franconia Ridge. I'm glad I descended that way - there were a lot of leaves on the rocks but since they were dry it wasn't too bad. By the time I reached 13 Falls I was doubting whether I had the legs to back up my plan but I continued on to Galehead nonetheless. The Twin Brook Trail was new to me and quite lovely but it also left me tired. I was happy to make a quick stop at Galehead and then continue on to rest at the hut.

A delicious poppy seed cake and coffee rejuvenated me and I made short work of the climb up South Twin. I had North Twin as a stretch goal but decided to quit while I was ahead and head straight towards the Bonds. While I was by myself when deep in the Pemi, I was surrounded by people now and it would be packed summits from hear on out. The colors below Bondcliff did not disappoint and I spent some time there enjoying the afternoon. Now it was after 3 PM and it was time to descend. I did my best to push the pace and was pleased I still had the legs to run out on the Lincoln Woods Trail. Overall a great day in the mountains and I was very happy with how my body responded and recovered.

Real nice video and background music, and what a perfect day. Thanks for posting that and taking me back to Bondcliff, possibly my favorite spot in all the Whites. It's great your knee is healed, and you can once again set a mean pace on 32-mile walk/run. A very impressive feat.

Real nice video and background music, and what a perfect day. Thanks for posting that and taking me back to Bondcliff, possibly my favorite spot in all the Whites. It's great your knee is healed, and you can once again set a mean pace on 32-mile walk/run. A very impressive feat.

Thanks! The weather worked out, it was looking like rain but then it ended up moving south. I was really happy with how the knee held up - the drive home did more to aggravate it than anything else.