Presi Range Hiking, week of April 3-9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountaingirl

Reaction score
I'm having next week off, and would like to do as much hiking as possible when weather permits. I'm thinking of doing two partial presi next Tue/Wed (flexible - weather dictates the date, not me):

1. Southern Presi: from Pierce to Washington
2. Northern Presi: From Madison to Jefferson or Washington

Currently, as I more likely to be soloing, I'm planning the out and back route, unless someone else would join me. If anyone wants to join me, I would be interested in doing the whole traverse too.

Advice on any potential spring hazard along this trail is appreciated!

Thanks!

The weather does not look very good for the days you mention . If you can hike a few days later in the week say staying at Crag camp or Gray Knoband hiking i would be interestee as long as the fropcast is ok. . i know the area well and ther is a full time care taker at Gray Knob.
Send a PM

It depends on what the weather brings this week... Pierce to Washington and back is pretty easy during the summer months. However, if there's a lot of rain and then freeze a) Crawford Path above treeline may be obscured and a little difficult to follow and b) there will be some steep and dicey sections on the north side of Monroe and a few other places. Bring crampons!! It took me about 6.5 hours to make it to Washington at I guess a moderate pace. You can avoid Monroe and Eisenhower on the way back by sticking to Crawford path but if these sections haven't had much use they may be a pain in the neck to follow. You only save about 700' elevation by doing this -- might not be worth your time, and plus, the southern presidentials are so beautiful that they're worth hiking twice!

The Northern Presis, out and back is a much more difficult undertaking, I think -- even in summer months. I haven't been up the Northern Presis this winter season but I'd expect conditions to be somewhat icy. Luckily you can bypass the Clay, Jefferson, Adams and Madison summits on your way out -- that'll save you something like 2000'+ elevation!

Definitely no crevasse danger! But take care not to take an unfortunate slide into the Great Gulf!

I can't join you... I wish; I am planning a presi traverse for my 30th birthday (April 24!!) but I gotta work this week. Good luck if you end up doing it though.

Regards,

Dr. Wu