Quit your grousing! Ruffed Grouse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
We had finished hiking Mt. Osceola and were heading down Tripoli Rd. back to our awaiting car at Livermore when I spotted this Ruffed Grouse in the woods to the left of us. I was able to get a few shots off before it calmly walked away (as opposed to its usual explosive departure).

Also as a side note, this grouse was postholing! It sunk into the soft snow with every step.

I'm not sure if it's a male or female. I'm thinking male but I'm not really sure.

P1000528.JPG

John

Great stuff!

I believe it's an immature male Spruce Grouse, but I'l just wait 'til Puck shoots me down 'cause I'm on a role for postin' the wrong thing. Anyway, great picture!

KDT

ah, the 'heart attack' bird, so named for giving me a heart attack every time one takes off just as i was about to step on it in the trail because I didn't see it first...

Super shot, again!

;)

ah, the 'heart attack' bird, so named for giving me a heart attack every time one takes off just as i was about to step on it in the trail because I didn't see it first...
I think I stabbed one in the tail feathers with a pole once on Rocky Branch. Walking along, minding my business, suddenly POOOF! there's a bird in my face and a little hollow in the snow where he was a moment before. Do they intentionally burrow, or did this one just have a storm come along in the middle of a nap?