Rain Shorts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
So I did an overnight to Isolation this weekend with a friend who is trying to finish her 4k list and has very limited time to get away to NH. She wanted to do a shake down hike in advance of a Pemi loop trip in July. Isolation was still on her list so I thought Isolation via Rocky Branch would be an awesome rainy weekend learning experience for her first overnight. :p (She knew what we were getting into, we did have fun and she learned stuff).

Anyway, it was obviously really, really, REALLY wet and we were pretty much soaked to the bone for 2 days. I always "mentally debrief" myself on my 4 hour ride home and got to wondering if there was such a thing as rain shorts. I did a little research this morning and discovered there is in fact such a thing. I had bought some trail running shorts earlier this year made of Pertex Shield, a fabric I really like in other stuff like gloves and actual rain gear. Not sure what was different about the shorts but they were an epic fail. Even sitting on my driveway in the sun for an hour this morning they were still damp.

So is anyone here using actual rain shorts? There is a pair from Frogg Toggs that looks pretty interesting. I can't stand wearing rain paints, especially when it is warm, so I'm giving them some serious consideration, particularly for when I'm staying out vs just a day hike. Curious for feedback from anyone who has them. Thanks in davance.

Haven't heard of rain shorts. But there is such a thing as the rain kilt, skirt, or wrap. A few companies make them, basically a wrap-around waterproof garment. Haven't tried it, but I agree, rain pants are awful in hot weather.

I bought a cheap Frog Toggs poncho to keep in my trunk for just in case scenarios. Tried hiking in in once, in the rain in the mountains, and it was way too hot, didn't breathe, and felt heavy. Your mileage may vary. I think some hikers pair a poncho with the kilt/skirt.

Another time I hiked with a small cheap umbrella, and that worked great, keeping myself and pack somewhat dry.

Last edited:
Haven't heard of rain shorts. But there is such a thing as the rain kilt, skirt, or wrap. A few companies make them, basically a wrap-around waterproof garment. Haven't tried it, but I agree, rain pants are awful in hot weather.

I bought a cheap Frog Toggs poncho to keep in my trunk for just in case scenarios. Tried hiking in in once, in the rain in the mountains, and it was way too hot, didn't breathe, and felt heavy. Your mileage may vary. I think some hikers pair a poncho with the kilt/skirt.

Another time I hiked with a small cheap umbrella, and that worked great, keeping myself and pack somewhat dry.
I actually have heard of the skirts. From what I have read they are fantastic but maybe I'm just not secure enough in my manhood to use one. Who knows. Maybe someday.

My friend had a cheap over-the-backpack poncho with her but didn't put it on until we were already pretty wet. I don't think she liked it.

I do have an ultralight hiking umbrella and have no idea why I didn't think to bring it. I rarely take it with me and I didn't like hiking with it around here because you constantly get hung up on branches and other stuff and above tree line it is often too windy to handle without a fuss. But it was real nice when you stopped to cover yourself and get out of heavy rain for a bit, eat a snack, etc. I'd imagine it would be helpful getting in and out of a tent too but haven't taken it on an overnight yet.

I could see running shorts working for rain, provided it was warm enough.
Been there. Done that. They get soaked and at least for me when it is down into the low to mid 60's or lower I get chilly, especially if it is breezy. And they don't dry overnight at all, at least the brands I've tried. "Fast drying" running shorts may be one of the biggest hyped up bull%^$ claims in outdoor gear IMO.

I actually have heard of the skirts. From what I have read they are fantastic but maybe I'm just not secure enough in my manhood to use one. Who knows. Maybe someday.

My friend had a cheap over-the-backpack poncho with her but didn't put it on until we were already pretty wet. I don't think she liked it.

I do have an ultralight hiking umbrella and have no idea why I didn't think to bring it. I rarely take it with me and I didn't like hiking with it around here because you constantly get hung up on branches and other stuff and above tree line it is often too windy to handle without a fuss. But it was real nice when you stopped to cover yourself and get out of heavy rain for a bit, eat a snack, etc. I'd imagine it would be helpful getting in and out of a tent too but haven't taken it on an overnight yet.

I had Joe at Zpacks make me a 0.8 ounce cuben fiber rain skirt years ago (before Zpacks offered one using a heavier weight fabric) that I still use. I wouldn't use anything else from early June into early October. I did feel weird the first few times I used it, but I got over it quickly.

I had Joe at Zpacks make me a 0.8 ounce cuben fiber rain skirt years ago (before Zpacks offered one using a heavier weight fabric) that I still use. I wouldn't use anything else from early June into early October. I did feel weird the first few times I used it, but I got over it quickly.
How is the kilt for large step ups like going up boulders and scrambling typical of NH? Does it hang up on the knees and force you "hitch it up" the knee so it doesn't restrict movement?

How is the kilt for large step ups like going up boulders and scrambling typical of NH? Does it hang up on the knees and force you "hitch it up" the knee so it doesn't restrict movement?
My Amazon rain kilt is a wrap around affair and doesn't impede me at all. But, just like using trekking poles can cause your forearms to get wet from rain running down your wrists, lots of scrambling can cause some wetness.

For above treeline, I still prefer side zip rain pants for the venting option, but they have a weight penalty.

Cycling rain chaps might be another summer option.

Oh, regarding manhood issues, I think the snappy answer to the inevitable question involves references to mothers or girlfriends and lipstick.

Get the zpacks rain skirt. You do have to hike it up or leave the bottom zipper open a bit to get full range of motion as it is long. Gives awesome ventilation and keeps the shorts dry.

My Amazon rain kilt is a wrap around affair and doesn't impede me at all. But, just like using trekking poles can cause your forearms to get wet from rain running down your wrists, lots of scrambling can cause some wetness.

For above treeline, I still prefer side zip rain pants for the venting option, but they have a weight penalty.

Cycling rain chaps might be another summer option.

Oh, regarding manhood issues, I think the snappy answer to the inevitable question involves references to mothers or girlfriends and lipstick.

I do have to hike mine up a little bit for big step ups, but mine is a little small for me now (gained some weight since I bought it many years ago) and it also doesn't have a zipper. (This was made specifically at my request before Zpacks designed and released one as a standard catalog item.) Hiking it isn't much of an issue though. I completed a full Mahoosuc Traverse wearing it nearly the entire way without it really feeling like a hindrance.

Last edited:
I do have to hike mine up a little bit for big step ups, but mine is a little small for me now (gained some weight since I bought it many years ago) and it also doesn't have a zipper. (This was made specifically at my request before Zpacks designed and released one as a standard catalog item.) Hiking it isn't much of an issue though. I completed a full Mahoosuc Traverse wearing it nearly the entire way without it really feeling like a hindrance.
How is the durability? I guess that is my other big concern. Brushing against undergrowth on trails that need brushing, scrub near tree line, stuff like that? Expensive piece of plastic to shred in one season. Punctures are Dyneema's Achilles heel aren't they?

I do like the skirt idea for being multipurpose too, especially at such a light weight. Could cover the end of a quilt to avoid condensation, use it as a ground sheet in a tent vestibule, etc. As dave.m insinuated, maybe I need to get some lipstick, buy one of these bad boys and take a walk on the wild side. :p

How is the durability? I guess that is my other big concern. Brushing against undergrowth on trails that need brushing, scrub near tree line, stuff like that? Expensive piece of plastic to shred in one season. Punctures are Dyneema's Achilles heel aren't they?

I do like the skirt idea for being multipurpose too, especially at such a light weight. Could cover the end of a quilt to avoid condensation, use it as a ground sheet in a tent vestibule, etc. As dave.m insinuated, maybe I need to get some lipstick, buy one of these bad boys and take a walk on the wild side. :p

The standard one is thicker than mine. I've had 3 punctures, which I repair with a small piece of the same tape that they use to tape Dyneema seams. I would guess the thicker one will hold up even better. I wouldn't bushwack with it, but for on trail use (even rough trails) I don't worry much about it.

What kind of backpack can be covered with this poncho?
I have the Frog Toggs Ultra-lite 2 Waterproof, Breathable Rain Poncho, which is on sale on Amazon for $12.99 at the moment. You could check it out there for specs, photos, and reviews.

It's been like a year since I tried it over a pack, so I don't recall all the details of the fit. I was using an Osprey 65L, to do a couple of nights out. The poncho went over me and my pack -- I am not sure how far down it went over the lower outside part of the pack.

The problem I had with it is that I just felt hot, like it wasn't too breathable, though it is advertised as breathable. The particular temperature that day was a factor, it was warm out.

I have the Frog Toggs Ultra-lite 2 Waterproof, Breathable Rain Poncho, which is on sale on Amazon for $12.99 at the moment. You could check it out there for specs, photos, and reviews.

It's been like a year since I tried it over a pack, so I don't recall all the details of the fit. I was using an Osprey 65L, to do a couple of nights out. The poncho went over me and my pack -- I am not sure how far down it went over the lower outside part of the pack.

The problem I had with it is that I just felt hot, like it wasn't too breathable, though it is advertised as breathable. The particular temperature that day was a factor, it was warm out.
This doesn't really look like an over the pack model based on the cut in the photos but for $12.99 I'm going to get one to experiment. It looks like the sides snap so it should breathe plenty. Thanks for that link.