Rapid River -Finally a rafting outfit that offers this trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

In Rembrance , July 2024
Reaction score
I realize that this is somewhat off topic for hiking but many of the hiking community on occasion likes to get wet.

After several years of no organized companies doing whitewater rafting trips on the Rapid River in Maine (near NH border) , I see that the firm that is doing the Pontook rapids is running limited trips on the Rapid River this year. There was a NHPTV show on this river a few years back. A lot of folks dont know about it as the rafting industry has traditionally stuck to the rivers east of Flagstaff and therefore the rapid doesnt get its due. The river drains most of the Maine border from the NH border to somewhere west of Boundary Snow with Kennebago, Azicohos, Parmachenee, Rangely, Mooselookmeguntic and Richardson lakes all feeding it.

The nice option with the Rapid is that you leave from Gorham NH, so the distance to get there is a lot less driving than the Maine option making it a good weekend trip. I have no financial interest in this business but its good to see a smaller firm offer this trip.

http://www.raftnh.com/our-trips/summer/rapid-river-trip-class-iv

I am going to see if I can convince a group to go at some point.

Note, I had an error in the title so I deleted the thread and reposted it with the correct title

Nice. I did the Dead once but it's quite the drive. This looks easier. I might try it. I noticed on the site they have sled dogs, too. Never done that but it might be interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Great tip. Hopefully, I can get the family up there for a river run this summer. I have been interested in this area ever since I read "We Took to the Woods" by
Louise Dickinson Rich. The book is about a family who lived on the Rapid river up until about 1945. There is a good bit of local geography mixed in with lore from the logging industry. An enjoyable read.
From our location in Otisfield ME, this is so much more reasonable than the Kennebec or the Penobscot. Plus, I like the idea of a more remote and personal experience. If you have ever rafted a more commercial river, you know what I am talking about.

The Rapid River trip is advertised as 14 and up. For a family rated trip, there are at least two firms who do the Pontook Rapids in Dummer, they are about a mile long and supposedly family friendly. The other firm is Northwoods rafting in Milan NH. I think they were the first to do Pontook. Saco Bound also does WW kayaking in Errol on the river below the dam.

FWIW, the Rapid is class IV and the Pontook Rapids are class II-III depending on the water level.

IIRC, I ran the Pontook Rapids in an open boat (canoe) back before the Pontook Dam was rebuilt--they were a mellow bit of current with some waves.

Doug

The Rapid River trip is advertised as 14 and up. For a family rated trip, there are at least two firms who do the Pontook Rapids in Dummer, they are about a mile long and supposedly family friendly.
Pontook Rapids can mostly be seen from Rte. 16 so you know what you are getting into, the flow is dam-controlled and has no relation to recent rainfall. Sometimes the water is too low to run at all, sometimes suitable for canoes, other times better for kayaks, rafts, and barrels - you can get a summer release schedule somewhere. The Northern Forest Canoe Trail people are building a portage trail for party-poopers or those going upstream.

The Rapid River definitely has harder rapids, but there is also flat water in the middle plus a trip across Lake Umbagog or on logging roads to get there - the complicated logistics and short run are what keep the raft operators away although some clubs run kayak trips there.