recent Thru-Hiker heroism saves life

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
gets a little "waxing" at the end, but a nice, inspiring story;

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/apr/03/thru-hikers-became-first-responders-for-rescue/

the linked article said:
Around 7 p.m., after cooking dinner with Hap, and Pa Bert's later arrival, they heard a voice outside the shelter saying, "Hello?... I need help." They immediately knew it was the missing hiker mentioned in the log. "I'm so scared," said 23-year-old UT student Chad Hunter as he stumbled into the shelter. His bare hands were frozen, leaving him unable to move his bent fingers, his clothes torn and wet, and he was rambling, sometimes incoherently. His boots were untied; one was missing a shoelace. They'd all heard about it the dangers of backcountry hiking, but now they saw them before them in this young man with what appeared to be a fullblown case of hypothermia.

Do you know if there was an ongoing search for this young man. It appears that he was reported missing but no mention is made of an active search.

Great article and kudos to the thru hikers who saved his life.

Interesting question on the search Maddy.

There was an earlier news article which also indicates that there was enough information to do a search (he'd filed an itinerary) - but gives no hint of an active search. Interestingly the article makes very little mention of the thru-hikers. I'd guess the later article was done in response to that omission.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...dent-airlifted-out-Smokies-after-getting-lost

Nice story. Thanks for posting.

Wondering how hungry I would have to be before ingesting maggots and worms... :eek: :eek: :eek:

For the last few days, he'd eaten only three maggots, a worm and some ferns. Like all backpackers, he'd been thinking about food - a lot.

Hikers from up north frequently underestimate just how high and remote the Southern Appalachains are. Not quite like getting caught above treeline, but the weather can still turn very cold and nasty into late spring.