REI heading to CT!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
For those of you in the Nutmeg State (or as I like to call it, the Nutcase State, aka Connecticut), there's some good news on the gear front. REI is heading to West Hartford (my hometown), which would be its first store in Connecticut. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until fall of 2007...Hartford Courant story

cantdog-
Would not be suprised if they avoid going to EMS's home state. The store in Reading is pretty close to you, as is the Framingham one ( I would guess both are well under an hour.) Certainly worth the drive during the big sales!

I worked at REI for about 2 years and I do remember hearing in several meetings that they would not want to touch NH. Seems like the 2 companies have a silent agreement about that. I must say though, that besides the sales I think EMS has better house gear than REI. I have owned several peices from REI and the quality nor design can match that of EMS. Seems to me that alot of REI equipment is meant to look cool rather than work well. I must say though that EMS has got to pick up on REI's Garage Sale idea though b/c those things are great.

alpinista said:
For those of you in the Nutmeg State (or as I like to call it, the Nutcase State, aka Connecticut), there's some good news on the gear front. REI is heading to West Hartford (my hometown), which would be its first store in Connecticut. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until fall of 2007...Hartford Courant story

Alpinista
Thanks for the tease :eek: ....By the way I made some maple wlanut fudge bars for you...but I wont send them until 2008 :p

Puck said:
Alpinista
Thanks for the tease :eek: ....By the way I made some maple wlanut fudge bars for you...but I wont send them until 2008 :p

I'm salivating here! No fair!!! :D :) :D :)

I saw the story, There is still some question on whether they will even build Blue Back. Some of the REI Gear has done well in test but it's only a few pieces. (Most of this stuff is all built in which ever country has teh cheapest labor that year)

While they may have a silent agreement, who knows, they did pick West Hartford which has the CT's climbing school in it & is thought of as the CT Flag Ship store, which I thought odd when I worked for EMS several years ago. (In CT prefer the Buckland location myself)

CT locations besides the two above include also Fairfield, Danbury, Waterford, a small Stamford location (maybe one more, I'm tryng to do this by memory) If I was REI, I would have picked either Stamford or Greenwich as the EMS Buckland & West Hartford stores are only 20 or so miles apart & pretty big (for a strip mall non-anchor)