restoring water repellancy to coated nylon?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
I have a very light 2 person backpacking tent that I've used for 10 years now. But the rain fly is losing its water repellancy. There is no visible damage, and it's not in any particular spot... in an all day rain (like we had last Saturday) the rain just slowly soaked through.

Has anybody used anything, spray on, wash in, or brush on, to restore water repellancy to a tent fly?

Thanks!

10 years old? I think trying to restore it would be good money after bad. I'd try to replace the fly.

There are some tech rinses at EMS, REI, etc for jackets and pants you might try, but they're pricey. Again, I'd apply the $$ to a new fly.

you can find instructions online for washing and drying DWR coated nylon products. Simply washing and drying (properly) is supposed to restore some of the resistance. After that I'd spray the whole thing with a can of Camp Dry.

Tent flies are typically made from polyurethane coated nylon (or polyester). The manufacturers use processes that you cannot replicate at home. There are products for recoating the nylon, but my understanding is that they don't work well.

Your only real hope is to replace it or buy a new tent.

Note: DWR on jackets is not the same as polyurethane coated nylon.

Doug

Last edited:
Your only real hope is to replace it or buy a new tent.

Doug

Agree. I finally replaced my old Eureka with a "modern" tent when the CampDry just couldn't cut it anymore. It added a few years to it, though (damp but not overly horrible).

Tent flies are typically made from polyurethane coated nylon (or polyester)... Note: DWR on jackets is not the same as polyurethane coated nylon.

Doug

Okay, so the reactivating wash and dry instructions for a DWR jacket may not apply to a tarp or fly. I'd still wash it warm "delicate" with some mild detergent and empty a $7 can of Camp Dry on it. You don't have much to lose. I did this with a 30 year old North Face bivy bag and am very happy with the results.

I'd still wash it warm "delicate" with some mild detergent and empty a $7 can of Camp Dry on it. You don't have much to lose. I did this with a 30 year old North Face bivy bag and am very happy with the results.
Sounds cheap enough to be worth a try as long as you have a polyester bag... :)

Seems to be a silicone water repellent--probably not as good as polyurethane, but better than nothing. http://www.aerostich.com/camp-dry-silicone-water-repellent.html

Doug

Thank you to all who took the time to respond. I'll give it a try - laundering, drying and re-treating. After that's been done, I'll set it up in the yard when rain is predicted, and we'll see how the experiment works. Even to get a little more use out of it would be nice.

For the record this tent is an LL Bean Microlight (2 person) and I've been very happy with it. It is not roomy but it's very light, which is what I wanted, and it didn't set me back much.

Also by way of full disclosure, I'm an LL Bean employee, but I purchased this tent before I joined the company, and even without the employee discount I considered this tent to be a good deal when I purchased it. I bought it after reading a positive review in Backpacker magazine.

For the record this tent is an LL Bean Microlight (2 person) and I've been very happy with it. It is not roomy but it's very light, which is what I wanted, and it didn't set me back much.

In that case there's always the LL Bean Satisfaction Guarantee. They replaced a no-longer-waterproof GoreTex jacket for me without questions. Maybe just ask if they can replace the fly? My guess is they'll tell you to go pick out a new tent.

Thank you for the suggestion. No, I do not intend to return the tent. If memory serves, this was a $129 tent. I do not believe that $129 entitles me to a "tent for life." Products, even well made ones, do inevitably wear out.