Rib injury damnit!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Fell while skiing about three weeks ago at Windham and I believe I separated #7 from the sternum by breaking the costal cartlidge. Anyone do this before? Going crazy taking it easy. Haven't seen the doctor yet as I'm pretty sure there's nothing that can be done anyway.

Heard recovery time is up to 12 weeks. Crap. Any suggestions for speeding up recovery time?

If you haven't already, take to wrapping your chest at the injury site with ace bandage. As I live alone I used to have to tie one end of the bandage to my refridgerator, stretch the bandage out and then roll up into the wrap.

When I broke ribs I was going unbound thinking there was nothing I could do. Then a fellow rib-breaker told me about the wrap and I found it provided stability to the injury site. Don't know if it speeds the healing process for sure but it could cut down on the amount of times the injury moves and thus speed recovery.

Be patient. I moved an amp after a gig one night and had a setback. We want only forward progress on the road to recovery. Conquering the same ground twice is a waste of time. Good luck!

I've broken a rib twice. As long as it is only one broken rib and everything is in its proper place, there isn't much to do but avoid annoying it and wait for it to heal. It is self-splinting and the other ribs support the chest adequately.

Doug

I have had a couple of broken ribs and didn't seek medical help. Ibuprofen works wonders especially at night when it is very difficult to move in bed without waking up from the pain.

Magically, it went away after six weeks both times.

Brandy. Plenty of it - it makes the time (seem to) go by faster. So... how's getting in and out of bed feel?
Getting in and out of bed used to really suck! That's funny! It's gotten a lot easier now but there is still a little pain once in a while.

Magically, it went away after six weeks both times.
I hope that's the case with me. It's been 3 weeks now and a lot of the pain has gone but there is a slight clicking feeling when I make certain motions with my upper torso. Need to be careful. I think the clicking is common when rupturing the costal cartilage between the rib and sternum. I also fear this type of injury takes longer to heal.

Aw, sorry to hear you're dealing with that! You wouldn't like my only advice: Definitely lay low for a while. Hope your recovery is an easy one. Tell us more about your skiing adventures to pass the time!
Thanks Harp. The skiing at Windham (where I fell on my chest) was cool...until... Then some guy on the lift overhead who saw me fall yells down "I give it and 8.5!" Very funny. I cross country skiied the next two days with not that much pain. It wasn't 'till Monday when the pain really began. Anyway, it was my first time cross country skiing - it was killer! I was in the Beaver Kill Valley. Best area of the Catskills if you ask me.

Thanks for the replies!

Hi, Ralph the cat here. Ellen tripped over me one middle of the night last August and fell into the back of a dining room chair. I yowled; she yelled. Helping her get up and out of bed was tough for about a week but then got easier. Heavy breathing hurt (like the trail up Carrigain, she said), but nothing seemed out of place. So we talked it over and decided that since there was no bruising or blood and deep breaths were getting easier to take, that, like breaking a toe, a doctor probably wouldn't do anything but tell her to take it easy. Which for her isn't easy. :p

Sorry about your unfortunate injury.
6 weeks sounds about right, though I do remember ice climbing about 3 weeks after. Not too bright.
Just avoid doing things that piss it off. You may find stuff that you can do.
(I don't recommend ice climbing):p
Sandy