Salomon Pro Ice Boots Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
I know many of you use pretty heavy duty boots during the winter such as Koflachs, Civettas, Morraines etc. I've always said that unless you could get boots like that on sale that spending $300 or more for winter boots for use around here is a bit overkill. (I'm only saying this upfront because I've said this recently & it may come back now to bite me in the as......) :rolleyes:
I purchased a pr of Salomon Pro Ice boots in the hopes of learning & doing some ice climbing this winter. I got these because I found them at STP new for $60! And, because they have 100 gms of thinsulate in them. I honestly don't know how much I'll ever get to use them to ice climb but they are such nice boots & I got such a great deal I'm wondering why I couldn't use them this winter w/ crampons, snowshoes, hike. So many of you use heavy duty boots and seem to have no problem plus this particular style has a removeable ankle support that you put in when you ice climb, so this allows for more flexibility in the ankle which was a big problem for me trying to hike in a pr of plastics. They also fit perfectly. Does anyone out there have these boots or have any info on using them for winter use besides ice climbing? I hate to send them back yet I don't want them sitting here unused also.

Real ice climbing boots have essentially no flex. They are hell to walk in, they'll kill your feet on any type of approach or especially on a road walk.

While the removable ankle support thing is nice, I suspect the soles will be too stiff for comfort, and they probably don't have a rocker.

-dave-

These are the newer version of the boots that I use, and I love them. Mine aren't insulated, but are leather-lined...so they'll be a bit different. However, anywhere in NH they have been great for snowshoes, climbs...and camping. I always change into booties at night anyway.

They look virtually the same from what I can see from the picture, and if they are I swear by them.

I didn't look at the boots in question so I'm answering blind (what else is new). Are they as stiff as traditional ice climbing boots? I've tried some older model boots on and found them extremely difficult to wear for extended periods of time while walking on hard ground.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Real ice climbing boots have essentially no flex. They are hell to walk in, they'll kill your feet on any type of approach or especially on a road walk.

While the removable ankle support thing is nice, I suspect the soles will be too stiff for comfort, and they probably don't have a rocker.

-dave-

Not all of 'em. My Lowa Civettas are as light and comfortable as leather boots. There's no flex, but somehow you don't miss it. I've hiked in them on multi-day winter hikes with 50 pounds on my back and had no complaints, sometimes logging 12 mile days. And they handle NEI4 and 5.6 fine. I will agree though that I wouldn't want to walk on pavement or many miles of ledge in them.

Mark

Dave, I don't believe they are as stiff, which is why the literature when I got mine sold them as an approach boot that could handle technical climbing.

dug:::

they are pretty darn comfortable for a boot that can be used to ice climb. i spoke w/ a guy from the alpine institute and he knew of them & said they would be great for waterfall or the type of ice climbing we do around here. as i said for $60 i would hate to send em back. been wearing around all day and they aren't bad. do yours have the hard insert that you use when you ice climb? this is probably a stupid question but i'm assuming the plates go on top of the tongue and slide under that strap on them? and this works ok for you?

It's all about the fit....

Hey Shadowcat,

I cannot speak directly about the Salomon boots as i've never worn them, but i do have a pair of LaSportiva Nepal Extremes, which are also a dedicated leather ice climbing boot. Yep, they are very stiff, much as i suspect the Pro Ice boot is. However, I find that for winter "activities" it is my "go to" boot almost every time.

I use it for pack-carrying training and as it treats me right for hour long sessions up and down the "hill" with no blisters, i can't ever complain. This is on dry ground by the way. For "bare booting it" on snow, (snow of course, allows for flex), i hardly notice how stiff it really is. With snowshoes, again, the binding allows for plenty of flex. However, despite the "flexibility" i have with the Nepals, once i step into my crampons (BD Sabertooth's), they are all business.

I don't think the Pro Ice is any stiffer than the Nepals, though I've never worn a pair of the Pro Ice boots myself, YMMV..... If the boots are feeling pretty good in the house, like up and down stairs, imho, i think they will be ok - at any price....

Mm