Salomon Winter Boot Opinions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am interested in purchasing a pair of Salomon boots for winter dayhiking. The two that have caught my eye are:
• Salomon B52s Salomon B52s

• Salomon Scramblers Salomon Scramblers

I would greatly appreciate if those familiar with Salomon winter boots would share their impressions. My primary areas of consideration are:
• Comfort
• Warmth
• Functionality with snowshoes and strap-on crampons
• Waterproofness
• Durability

Many thanks,
Marty

Hi Marty,
I too just went to searching for a new boot and came up with the B52s as one that really caught my attention. I usually order things online and it was difficult for me with boots because I haven't worn any in the last 4 years, I usually go mid to low in height. I figured my ankles would have a hard time adjusting to the feel so at first I bought a pair of the Keen winterport hikers off Zappos.com and they were great in the ankle area but they don't snug up well, soft lacing that gives a lot and I didn't help the matter when I ordered them a half size bigger like all the suggestions said. They also had a heavy stitch in the back and it gave me blisters. To bad they don't take returns after a few hikes and with some screws in the bottom. :rolleyes:

I felt I needed something soft so the Salomons in the Avo and B52's were attention grabbers. I ended up running into PinPinJr in the Dix range and noticed he was wearing the B52's and when I asked about them his face lite up, so that was a great source for the areas I was concerned with if a guy who has done about 25 winter rounds of the 46 wears them and loves them they must be pretty good considering the number of boots he has gone through over the years. So I ordered them last Monday and broke them in but with a 17+ mile hike with 7k of elevation on Wednesday. Wrong way with the girly ankles that I had. They hurt real bad on the side of my ankles, but my feet felt better than they had in any shoe or boot in a long time.

I felt it was just my ankles being wuss so I kept at it with a 16 mile hike Friday and they felt much better, still hurt in the ankles but better. So Saturday I did a 21.5 mile hike and I had been making slight adjustments like loosing up the laces and my snowshoe straps and such. I hardly noticed I was wearing anything. By the time Sunday rolled around I did a ten miler with two miles of road walk which can be tough on your feet and they were awesome. So I'll get to the exact areas you asked about.
marty said:
consideration are:
• Comfort
I think I covered that one, maybe to much. ;)
• Warmth
They were warmer than anything I was used to and I only once when we were stopping alot on the way out of that 21.5 mile day did my toes feel the cold. But if you keep stopping your going to feel it if it is 10. That Sunday it was -10 to 0 and they felt warm the whole time.
• Functionality with snowshoes and strap-on crampons
They have a very regular shape so I haven't had any problems with slippage or anything.
• Waterproofness
They have been real good in that area, mostly just my sweat except when I fell through the ice and got them semi wet inside but they still kept me warm all day in about 14 degree weather.
• Durability
The durability seems very good in most areas. I have one problem but I think it is the way I cramp down my snowshoes and the style of snowshoe. Where my foot bends they have rub spots were on that outer softer material the straps of my snowshoes (Northern Lites) digs on them. I think it is mostly that type of strapping and the fact of my first break in day that caused it. After adjustments they didn't increase. PinPinJr has no such spots with his MSRs and more use.

I also always factor weight as on issue and these things are very light. About 20ozs per boot at size 9 according to there site, I'd call that super lite for a full ankle boot with 400 gr insulation. I use this site for the metric conversions.

I probably went overboard with all this but I like to know what a source is thinking and that they put thought into it. I had used your review of the microspikes to help me purchase mine so one good turn deserves another. ;)

Cory D

Marty,

I love my B52s. Very warm and comfortable, I wear them everywhere. My size 11s fit the large microspikes and MSR Lightning Ascents real well, no problems so far. If I end up using my crampons tomorrow (G10s) I'll be able to comment on that at a later time.

Last edited:
B52s

I just got mine last week. So far I have only gone out around the yard in them, but I like what I see. I am going out next week hopefully and could offer more after a more extensive test. I haven't run into anyone that does not like them so far.

Salomon B52s

Well, I bought a pair of Salomon B52s this week. Took them on a couple of local jaunts this weekend (a bushwhack with Ray and Ridgewalker and a hike with Sapblatt and Bobby). :cool: These boots TOTALLY ROCK. :D

These boots are warm, supportive and had out of the box comfort. They also seem to breathe well for an insulated boot. My size 10 1/2's weigh 2 pounds, 12 ounces. That is amazingly light for an 8 inch Gore-Tex leather boot with 400 grams of thinsulate ultra.

They retail for $135.00, but you may be abe to find some nice internet discounts. I bought mine at Bob Wards for $80.99 (incl. free shipping) Bob Wards - Salomon B52s. Unfortunately, their available sizes are limited. Maybe there are other deals like this at other stores.

Thanks to all who provided me positive reviews on these babies.

Regards,
Marty
P.S. Ray, Ridgewalker, Sapblatt, Bobby - always a pleasure to hike with you, guys :D :D