Sandwich Notch Rd-Algonquin Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
I plan on hiking Sandwich Mtn by goin up the Algonquin Trail and headin down the Sandwich Mtn trail. My question...is Sandwich Notch Road real rough from the entrance of Rt 49 to the trailhead? We've got a pretty good car but no four wheel drive and last time I took a trip onto Sandwich NOtch Rd we almost got stuck in a deep hole...several times :eek: . If anyone knows on conditions let me know, thanks!

grouseking

Here's what the USFS is reporting as of May 31, 2005:

Sandwich Notch Road
OPEN
NHDOT (long, deep holes reported; mud and water south of Guinea Pond Trailhead; 4WD recommended)

But wait and see if you get any one else's experience before deciding.

Thanks

Thanks a bunch...yes a second opinion would be awesome. Since I dont plan on traveling far down the road I'm not real worried but I just want to make sure....

A couple of weeks ago I went up SNR from the south up to the Bear Camp River Trailhead. That stretch wasn't any worse than it ever is. By that I mean, it's still rough but four wheel drive was not necessary. From what I saw and what the Forrest Service says, the problems much be between those two trailhead. My advice would be to come down from the north but, I'm sure you already figured that... :D

I travelled the whole length of it on Monday. I didn't need to use 4 wheel drive but I was glad to have it just in case. The road has some pretty steep sections and some of the worst ruts and rocks are in those sections. I think it can be done without 4 wheel drive if your car has a little bit of clearance and you don't mind taking chances.