Santanonis herd path?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
First of all, it's good to have VFTT back.
I'm headed up to the Santanonis this weekend (Feb 28-March 1), and would like to know about the herd path to Times Square. I was up there in November, so I know how the normal herd path is. Does the winter track follow the same general path up to Times Square, or does it go directly up to Santanoni? I know about the camping spot in the forest above Bradley pond, but is there another spot to make a winter camp higher up toward Santanoni/Times Square? Thanks. I love this site! -ALG

Santi Range

I've had one aborted winter attempt at Couch, and I see to remember the winter trail followed the same path as the regular trail. BUT NOT 100% CERTAIN.

Santanoni Range.

Hi AGL,

Yes usualy the best way to hike all Santanoni range in the winter time is to pass by the same path. But You need considere now We have over 5 feet of snow over 4,000.

From Time Square to Santanoni, direct line in the top of the ridge will be good, prababely the same for Panther.

For Couche, the most difficul part will be when you will start from T.S. with this snow, You have a good chance to never find the usual path and also good chance for many spruce trapes if the snow will be not perfect consolided!!!

But if the snow base is good You can stay directly in the edge also. But always keep in your head beween the south and north side of the edge, the north stay the most easy.

No camping permit over 3,500 except in the designed spot and nothing in this range..

Good chance. Have a good time!!!

Pinpin Junior:)

A large group is going there this weekend (Feb.28-1). Take a look at the other thread on Santanoni.

Last edited:

Latest posts