Scanning guide books to save weight

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Last year I took about half a dozen guide books with me to Switzerland, and they really weighed me down :(

This year I am thinking of scanning the relevant sections (say 100 pages or so) into my computer. I have exactly zero experience with scanners, so need advice from those who know. Does this make sense? Any suggestions as to models and software?

Thanks!!

Last year I took about half a dozen guide books with me to Switzerland, and they really weighed me down :(

This year I am thinking of scanning the relevant sections (say 100 pages or so) into my computer. I have exactly zero experience with scanners, so need advice from those who know. Does this make sense? Any suggestions as to models and software?

Thanks!!
Most scanners come with software that automatically creates a JPG (compressed) image. This should be fine. Once you scan a few pages, you will get an idea how much space you will need on your laptop, thumb drive, etc.

This makes me wonder if you actually want to take 'pages' on a hike? Are you bringing some lightweight device for displaying them? Or are you going to print them when you get there?

A good scanner

I bought a "Canon" scanner (CanoScan LiDE200) for under a $100.00 last year. It's a flat bed style with software that gives you the option of saving all outputs as JPG's or PDF's. I've had NO problems with this scanner. It's fast and easy to use.

I find the PDF files easier to handle and most computers, tablets (IPad)/, and netbooks all have the capibilities of reading PDF's.

Back all files onto a flash drive (read only) so you won't delete them and go.

Or

Just cut the spines off of the books you need, and take just the pages needed. I did this with the AMC Guide books and travel with just the section needed. I take the entire section, not just the pages containing the trail I will be travelling on. This give me the option of changing my route if needed with the knowledge of all trails in the area.

The only problem I have with using electronic devices to use on the trail is the power consumption. Not to mention the risk of malfunctions or theft.

Good luck.....Walker

Last edited:
The guidebooks are for trip planning, not for carrying on the trail.

I just discovered that the publisher of two of the guidebooks (arguably the most valuable for me) sells eBook versions ... since Amazon does not have Kindle editions I had assumed that there were no ready digitized options.

Destroying books is too radical a solution for me, though I know many who do so.

One thing you might consider is OCR after scanning, that would bring file size down to nearly nothing and make them searchable

Editing proper names after scan can be tedious, but the more time you spend with the text in advance the more you will remember on your trip

Any suggestions as to models and software?

One thing you might consider is OCR after scanning, that would bring file size down to nearly nothing and make them searchable.
That is precisely what I meant when I asked about suggestions for software. I have about three months before my trip, ample time for some editing after the scanning.

Any suggestions??

I often take a close-up picture with my pocket digital camera of the AMC guidebook's description of a trail before I hike - I normally bring it with me anyway and the file weighs nothin'. Then I can just zoom in and pan around to read the pertinent parts.

I often take a close-up picture with my pocket digital camera of the AMC guidebook's description of a trail before I hike - I normally bring it with me anyway and the file weighs nothin'. Then I can just zoom in and pan around to read the pertinent parts.

I do this too, although I'm not sure that I've ever bothered to read it once the hike started.

I wouldn't invest in a scanner just for this purpose. Most college and university libraries (and most libraries in general) should have scanners available for public use. For example, the library at Paul Smith's has one that is pretty easy and painless to use, and the scanned images are emailed to you immediately.

One can also photograph the map on the trailhead kiosk and bring it with you rather than trying to memorize it.

Doug

Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for a great idea. Prior to hiking this weekend I scanned the relevant guide book pages and map sections for my hikes. I printed them and placed them back-to-back in a ziplock bag. Not only does it save weight, but it's so easy to stuff in your pocket and pull it out whenever you want. No unfolding and refolding the map in the wind, no losing your bookmark. Very slick!!

Low-tech methodology

When I was doing my first round of the ADK peaks, I bought two copies of the McMartin trail guide book. On one book I would cut out the appropriate pages for that hike and I still had fully-bound second copy. Only cost $20, cheaper than a scanner. The map was Tyvek too.

Last edited: