Schunemunk Mtn Sun June 7

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Dates of Hike: Sun Jun 7, Sun May 31, Sun May 24

Special Equipment Required: Sturdy Boots Always, bugspray and suncreen where appropriate

Comments: In the process of hiking the Long Path in Sections, I decided to hike all the Schunemunk Trails because they are so enjoyable. 1000 +/- elevation gain to ridgeline and great views all around at times to Kittatinnys, Gunks, Catskills, Hudson Highlands, and to the Hudson River and Newburgh-Beacon bridge. Favorite trails are Dark Hollow and Trestle. The Long Path comes in on the SE quadrant of the mountain, runs most of the western ridge and exits in the NW quadrant, missing most of the prime vistas and interesting scrambles. I just had to come back again and see everything I missed.

Wildlife Sightings: On the Jessup Trail, came across four roosting turkey vultures who where quite huge and noisy when flying off. Also saw very large diamondback rattlesnake sunning himself on the rocks on the Jessup around 8:00 am. Good blueberries for the fall.

MrMark (BlueBlazer)