Scutt Mt and NE Scutt - two Catskill 200 whacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
Having rec'd a little local intel that the snow levels were low and disappearing in some places, I left the snowshoes in the car.
I've hauled shoes in late autumn or in spring if there was the slightest chance I'd need them. The road that approaches the peaks is only seasonally maintained so it was a half mile uphill to where I'd otherwise begin the whack.
I knew I'd made a mistake 50' into the woods. The kind of snow with 2" of powder on a deep and breakable crust. One foot ahead, fall thru the crust, lift the foot straight up...repeat. Long day. By the time I was back in the col the decision was to head home, go grab another peak with snowshoes, or grab NE Scutt. I opted for the latter and found the snow was a little easier.
Scutt had some blackberry pricker canes in the upper part of the mountain. NE Scutt was open woods. The sun coming out made the work more enjoyable.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741825.100000196052414&type=1&l=99b222e3e9