Selecting a new tent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
Hi,
I was looking in my Gearheadz catalog for a one man tent. The tent model is called a Eureka Solitaire, it is a one man tent. I plan to use it all year long. I'd like it it to be ultralight (under 3 to 2 pounds). Does anybody own a tent like this or could reconmmed one?

Tnf

I truly have been disappointed with the cost and constuction and pop culture design of North Face gear lately, with the exception of the Canyonlands 1 man tent. Its design is light, sturdy(used it in snow conditions many times, the steep walls don't allow snow to accumulate) easy to set up, and is very roomy for 1. However, it isn't freestanding, and its large mesh area doesn't hold a lot of heat in winter. It has a great fly, and it has great venting.

I love its flexibility. On warm but damp nites, you can even set up the fly like a tarp, so you can see out while staying dry.

Super light, and i got mine for under $110.

The price and weight are tempting. I owned this last year, slept in it once, and sold it. It really depends what you are looking for in a 1 man tent. Being able to sit up is important to me. I just bought the Sierra designs light year tent and it is comparable weight wise to the Solitaire but has more height. If an oversized bivy is what you're looking for, then go for it!

If you're looking for cheap, then try eBay!

RW, I owned a Eureka Gossamer which is identical to the Solitaire, except back then the Soli had FG poles and the Gossa had alum.
I too owned for about a year and sold it. It was great for quick overnights, but I found that I would rather carry an extra 2 lbs and have the ability to sit up. (you could do more for less with a tarp as well).

Also What I didn't like were the side ties outs pulled tauted always left the fly touching the mesh nylon and condensation could drip on you. By not pulling the sides out, you tent to heat up the joint quickly.

I could changin it it by bringing my kness up to my chest, course I always wondered what folks thought was going on inside as the saw elbows and knees puching against the walls and ceiling. :)
FWIW, I see a lot of these on Ebay now.
Good luck
Rick