Seymour, Winter Gathering, 2/23/2013

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradox

Reaction score
Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
We met up with Gary and Karen at the snowplow turnaround and headed up to the summer lot. Coreys Road had been opened by snowplows all the way to the summer parking, recently. There was about 3 to 6" of snow here and there and snow tires were definately helpful, but not critical. Apparently the gate does not close until spring mud season.

It's a long slog out to the herd path, which is 0.1 miles SE of the Ward Brook Leanto. The grade of the herd path gradually increases from level ground to almost a 60% grade about 0.3 miles from the summit. I my mountaineering axe on the back of my pack, it caught on every tree and blowdown the whole way up, Won't do that again. The grade eases off a touch for the last quarter mile.

It was the perfect day for climbing Seymour as the snow was very "grippy". I could plant snowshoe, step forward almost the whole way and not slide back down. Because of this I was able to travel the herd path up in only 1:45. Gary led the way, followed by Karen, Gary, and me. The summit was very windy and quite drifted, we did not stay long. But the butt-slide down was like being on a luge run. We made it down in less than 45 minutes.

And then the long slog back out.

Pictures and GPS track on Wikiloc.