Sherpa step-in bindings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campsite

Reaction score
A few years ago Sherpa came out with a step-in binding. It worked on the same principle as step-in crampons - with a front bail and rear securing mechanism. Does anybody use this type of binding? I have an opportunity to buy a set, and I'd like to have an evaluation of the binding by someone who actually uses (used) it.
Thanks.

I have found the Prater step-in bindings for the Sherpa snowshoes to be excellent.
It is easily adjustable to different size boots.

When I hike with my wife I set them to her boot...when I hike solo I set them to my boot. No tools needed.
I replaced the lotus binding..threw them away... and replaced it with the step-in. Now it is my favorite binding for a plastic boot.
It has front points..making it thus far the only shoe I have that I can use for front pointing up stuff where other wise I would be flailing and floundering.
To me the binding seems lighter than the lotus but a bit more than the flexible lace up style.
good luck...spdr

spider solo said:
I have found the Prater step-in bindings for the Sherpa snowshoes to be excellent.
It is easily adjustable to different size boots.

Do they look like they adjust big enough for very large (size 16) boots?

Frosty

Geez.. I must admit I have never seen a boot that size...my boot sized 10.5 (US) leaves 4 remaining adjustments for a larger sizing but I don't know their maximum rate size. (as with step in crampons in general.)
Both the toe bail and the heel bail are adjustable... the foot plate width is open sided so that would seem ok.
A custom bail could be made, if necassary, if you had a friend or knew someone who works with metal...it is a simple arrangement.
It would be nice if someone at Sherpa could answer a straight forward question like that..but I don't know if such a person is available.
I hope this is of some help...but without the boot in hand I'm at a bit of a loss for a definite answer...
good luck ...spdr

spider solo said:
Geez.. I must admit I have never seen a boot that size...my boot sized 10.5 (US) leaves 4 remaining adjustments for a larger sizing but I don't know their maximum rate size. (as with step in crampons in general.)
Both the toe bail and the heel bail are adjustable... the foot plate width is open sided so that would seem ok.

Yeah, it's tough to be big. My Grivels work because I put a bolt through the very last hole in the adjustment (the one Grivel says not to use).

But if the sides are flat (not constrained) and toe and heel are adjustable, they may work.

I'll look into them.

Thanks,
Frosty

I have had the step-ins for my sherpas for a few years, but boy are they heavy. If I am doing something extreme they are great, with that set of front points I can avoid having to change into crampons as much and when I do, the change over is fast. Also the lateral support of the rigid platform is much better for traversing on boilerplate. I have to confess though, that I stick with the lace up tuckers for 90% of my snowshoe trips. It's not just the weight, but also that larger metal surface can collect one heck of a large snow ball under foot in wet snow.

As long as we ar talking about Sherpas, John had mentioned the Tucker Binding and (I am assuming) Alpine claws.

My old and trusty Sherpas do not have a heel crampon like these newfangled snowshoes - I am wondering if anyone ever had a heel crampon added to their Sherpas. The idea seems appelaing, but it could raise a ruckus when you try to glissade down some of the finer Adirondack peaks.
Thoughts?

Rick, my son had a pair of the older Sherpas( the gold ones) and without the heel crampons they were a little "exciting" while descending. We fabricated a stainless steel heel crampon similar to what my Redfeathers have and bolted it on with stainless steel bolts and washers. This made the snowshoes as good as any of the more modern ones. You can stll glissade with them by leaning back on the tails. It is just a little more controlled.

mixed feelings, but mostly thumbs down

My wife and I both have Sherpas with the step-in bindings. They are convenient to use, and are only marginally heavier than other binding arrangements. Two problems though - all the crampon points are oriented front-to-back, so there is very little surface area for traction in softer snow, and second - the front points have a tendency to catch on obstructions when you are sliding downhill, causing them to bend or even break.

Tom H
Wow...That's the first I've heard of them breaking.
Since I'm taking that pair tomorrow...I took them down and gave them a long inspection just to make sure. They looked fine... the points have dulled up a bit but I don't sharpen them as I do my crampons (...which reminds me...)
I'm none to gentle with them. You might say I'm down right rough on 'em.
So, of course I'm wondering how on earth they broke or bent ?? I hope it happened without any broken bones.
This pair I have looks like I could beat on them with a hammer for quite a while before I could do any real damage to them...do the looks deceive??
thanks ..spdr

Since the front points are so long, a large lateral force on the very tip of the point will produce a large bending moment at the base of the point. If you look at the base of the point you will notice that this is where one of the front adjustment holes is located. In other words, they have drilled out metal right at a place where it is badly needed for strength. The first time I bent one of mine I removed the shoe and pushed the point against a rock to straighten it. It immediately broke off. Sherpa replaced this one for me under warranty.

My current ones have acquired a slight bend in one point, but I am steering away from trying to straighten it. It may be possible to give the weak area some extra strength (but not much) by putting a bolt and heavy washers through the offending holes. Pre-heating the bolt would be even better, as it will tighten even more as it cools. I have not done this yet. You might even consider shortening the points a bit to reduce the magnitude of the bending moment that gets produced when a lateral load is applied.

A modification I made to improve soft snow traction was to take a pair of the aluminum crampons from Tubbs snowshoes, trim them to fit between the points of the Sherpa crampons, and bolt them in there (had to drill out some rivets on the Sherpas as I recall). I believe I also had to heat up and flatten out the "rocker" that was built into the Tubbs crampons, because the Sherpa crampons have no rocker.

In the end I actually don't use the Sherpas much, mainly because I tend to slice the lacing nearly every time I go out with them.

I called Sherpa a few weeks ago to try to find a Prater binding and I had a bizarre conversation with the woman that answered the phone...It was very apparent that I was calling someone's home and not a large place of business.

She told me that Sherpa was going out of business. I asked her if they had gotten bought out and that they would be missed for sure. She said, "Well, actually, we didn't get bought out. We are just going down the tubes."

yes, that's right...that's what she said...I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, she said to call every place listed on their website (long list of distributors - you have to search by region IIRC) to try to find parts, extras, etc.

Good Luck!

spencer

Spencer, that is really sad. I really like my Sherpa's, though have found that my new MSR's are better suited for the Northeast in most situations of late. Amazing that an increase in winter hikers may have indirectly contributed to their decline.

So I guess next time I hear "Sherpa step-in binding"? I'll say "yes, but in the MSR's":eek:

Tom H
That's amazing I beat the living crap out of mine and have never had a problem. I'll keep a good eye on them though.......

From the sound of things looks like e-bay is going to be the best bet for Sherpa shoes...there was a pair of new unstrung ones on there the other day........

Latest posts