Short backcountry ski's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sierra

Reaction score
A few years ago out west someone let me borrow some ski's to approach the 14ers in winter. They where roughly 4ft long had silveretta bindings and skins that you could take on and off. Not being a skier, I found them easy to use due to there length of 4ft, very easy to use for both climbing and descending. I also liked the fact that they were fine to use with my mountaineering boots. I even kept the skins on for some descents to control my speed. Here's the question, what would you suggest I use to duplicate that set-up? I do not know much about ski's and so far no shop Ive been to seems to get what Im looking for. P.S. I d rather not spend a thousand bucks for it all. Thanks.

approach skis

A few years ago out west someone let me borrow some ski's to approach the 14ers in winter. They where roughly 4ft long had silveretta bindings and skins that you could take on and off. Not being a skier, I found them easy to use due to there length of 4ft, very easy to use for both climbing and descending. I also liked the fact that they were fine to use with my mountaineering boots. I even kept the skins on for some descents to control my speed. Here's the question, what would you suggest I use to duplicate that set-up? I do not know much about ski's and so far no shop Ive been to seems to get what Im looking for. P.S. I d rather not spend a thousand bucks for it all. Thanks.

They are called approach skis and not a lot of companys make them. K2 used to but I dont think they do anymore. These guys make http://www.mtnapproach.com/them but they are pricey and come with a backpack that you probally dont want. Also the skins dont come off. I seriously considered hunting down a pair for backcountry snowboarding but decided to go the route of a split snowboard. Best of luck!

skiboards

Search ebay for Line Skiboards. They are about 3-4 feet. You can mount your silveretta bindings on them and use kicker skins. They are good to skate too.