Sierra Club

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call me a softie, but I'll forever speak up for an organization that was instrumental in preventing the damming of Grand Canyon.
So they deserve a nice mention in history books. Seems like you should donate now based on whether you support what they do now. Since rules of this site prohibit fundraising, I can't tell you whether to donate or not.

They support no commercial logging in any National Forest, even Nebraska NF where all the trees were planted for forestry purposes. And they support removal of blazes, bridges, and shelters in Wilderness in the White Mountains. Perhaps that will help you decide.

...They support no commercial logging in any National Forest, even Nebraska NF where all the trees were planted for forestry purposes. And they support removal of blazes, bridges, and shelters in Wilderness in the White Mountains. Perhaps that will help you decide.

I think we have to be careful here. The Sierra Club sets the gold standard for environmental groups. Without their leadership, our rivers would be more polluted, our air dirtier, our climate even warmer. And, for every 100 specific initiatives, there are probably 5 I strongly oppose - like the items you mention above. But, when the previous administration began "selective" logging of old growth Sequoias in nearby Sequoia National Forest, it was the watchful eye of the Sierra Club which blew the whistle on them. This is one example of why I'm very glad the SC is there.

I don't want this thread to devolve into a rant. But I'd like to point out that sometimes we're very quick to find one or two points about an organization/politician/etc which we disagree with, and use those points to pummel that entity when, on the whole, they're a force for positive change.

Last edited:
Well... umm... Like Kevin, I *DO* support most of what they do now.

And having visited the Big Ditch three times in the past two years, I appreciate NOW what they've done in the past. :D

Last edited:
Good luck finding an environmental organization (or any other sort of organization) where you agree with 100% of their positions. And yes, they do support edge case and extreme positions as do most organizations on either side of an issue. Starting from a more extreme position allows them room to maneuver when they negotiate so they can end up closer to your real goal.

JohnL

I just went there and poked around. Looks like 90% social networking site, 10% trails. But hey, it's all good...

I just went there and poked around. Looks like 90% social networking site, 10% trails. But hey, it's all good...
You think?

"Normal Forum (New Posts)
People
Sub Forums: Singles, Seniors, Gay/Lesbian, Families/Kids, All Abilities, Pet-owners, Miscellaneous"

I can't come up with any reason why you would need to break a People category down like that for such a site. Also what if I'm a single senior lesbian pet-owner? Do I cross post?

I think cross-posting is better than cross-dressing, but I could be wrong.

Don't knock it till you've tried it :D

Looking for cross dressing peak baggers for my next documentary feature...... by the way.... cross dressing? Does that mean an angry piece of clothing? I guess it could, couldn't it? My socks certainly smell cross after a long hike, lol.

Last edited:
Don't knock it till you've tried it :D

Looking for cross dressing peak baggers for my next documentary feature...... by the way.... cross dressing? Does that mean an angry piece of clothing? I guess it could, couldn't it? My socks certainly smell cross after a long hike, lol.

I've actually considered getting a group of guys to wear dresses up the Crawford Path over the Southern Presidentials and upon entering the Lakes of the Cloud Hut, put our high heels on! It would put the evening drag shows at Lakes to shame :eek: