Simple Catskill Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HapyHkngSmile

Reaction score
Hello -

I was trying to think of a hike I can take my boyfriend on who has little hiking experience. I was thinking North/South lake in the Catskills. Does anyone have any other suggestions and/or reports of snow totals in that area?

Thanks a bunch!
Christine :)

HapyHkngSmile said:
Hello -

I was trying to think of a hike I can take my boyfriend on who has little hiking experience. I was thinking North/South lake in the Catskills. Does anyone have any other suggestions and/or reports of snow totals in that area?

Thanks a bunch!
Christine :)
Overlook.

A walk up to the 'thrones' in Pecoy Notch.

We got about a foot from last weekend and more during this week, but I have not heard any conditions yet. Bring snowshoes! If the route is very popular, you might not need them, but you never know.

North-South Lake is an excellent idea. What kind of gear do you both have? snowshoes? crampons?

Start at Schutt Rd (I think the roads in park are closed in winter) and loop around the Escarpment Trail past the top of Kaaterskill Falls (slightly off trail), Sunset Rock, Inspiration Point, Boulder Rock, Catskill Mountain house site. From here you can walk back through the park to your car (about 7 mile loop). Or you can continue to the Artist Rock, the other sunset rock, Newman's ledge and Badman's cave. Here you can make another decision and take the Rock shelter trail back to the park entrance (an 8 mile total loop) or continue up to North Point. The last ascent is very steep. Then back down from N. Point back the Mary's Glen trail to Shelter rock trail to beginning (just over 10 miles).

Overlook is a favorite of mine.

imarchant said:
North-South Lake is an excellent idea. What kind of gear do you both have? snowshoes? crampons?

Start at Schutt Rd (I think the roads in park are closed in winter) and loop around the Escarpment Trail past the top of Kaaterskill Falls (slightly off trail)
Going over Kaaterskill Falls might be more "excitement" than they're looking for at this point, especially without traction (I wouldn't do it without traction and without having used the traction prior), but you and Tom know that area better than me, certainly.

Windham High Peak is a nice hike; good parking, lean-to and out-house en route, interesting woods and great views near and at the summit. Not too far either.

Mt Tremper and Ashoeken HP are other nice peaks that are relatively short hikes for great gains (views, etc).

North/South lake is excellent start, other than the campground being closed now, but a good location for lots of fun exploration, bring snowshoes.

Jay

Chip said:
Going over Kaaterskill Falls might be more "excitement" than they're looking for at this point, especially without traction (I wouldn't do it without traction and without having used the traction prior), but you and Tom know that area better than me, certainly.
The walk down to the falls is tame. It's trying to get near them, or into the bowl, or behind the falls that would be 'exciting' w/o traction aids. :eek: I would bring full climbing gear for this in the winter! You might not need it, but I warned you. This can be a dangerous place, people have died here in the summer!

There is also a 1/2 mile walk up to the falls, which is more or less tame until you get near the falls. Then, see paragraph one!

Tom Rankin said:
We got about a foot from last weekend and more during this week, but I have not heard any conditions yet. Bring snowshoes! If the route is very popular, you might not need them, but you never know.
Ohh really, I may have to make my return now since calling it a winter climb without snow is just cheating! ;) Now I can go back to having no idea where the herd path may be. :)

I love this thread and that it is a "I need to know how to break my boyfriend in hiking" type of question. Priceless. :D

I just thought of another easy hike - Balsam Lake Mountain. Mostly a road walk, the last section is a little steep, but you get great views from the fire tower when you get to the summit! :D

This one falls in the popular category! :D

ColdRiverRun said:
Ohh really, I may have to make my return now since calling it a winter climb without snow is just cheating! ;) Now I can go back to having no idea where the herd path may be. :)

I love this thread and that it is a "I need to know how to break my boyfriend in hiking" type of question. Priceless. :D

You are correct - I figured the best place to start is in the Catskills and although - I have plenty of winter and hiking/climbing experience - I was thinking that I can throw a pair of my snowshoes on him and take him around North/Suth Lake (which I think may be my best bet)... Don't like to take chances with newbies - especially in the winter - and especially when there is a chance of some whining :) Oops did I say that!?

So I like the idea of North/South Lake :)

Not sure if you've gone yet, but Giant Ledge from Winnisook Lake is a pretty flat walk most of the way, with great views from the numerous ledges. Don't mean to start trouble, but this is the introduction hike I take young kids on! If you need a shorter steeper hike, start from the Giant Ledge parking area at the hairpin turn instead. You can also head over to Panther if all is going well!

My BF was a real trooper on his first winter hikes. We slept in his truck at the trail head the night before (we drove up from south Jersey) and hiked Balsam from McKenley Hollow. This was an easy hike for a newbie. The next day we hiked to Panther (OK these hikes were chosen because I need them for my reg 3500) the long way; can't remember the trail head but it was not via Gaint Ledges; it was 10 miles round trip. It was cold that day too. He never complained.

Latest posts