sleeping bag for two

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
umm. are there light backpacking sleeping bags that would comfortably fit two people (spooning or not!) :) :D

Big Agnes makes a good one:

http://www.backcountry.com/store/BA...l?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=BAG0119&mv_pc=r126

Slumberjack and Coleman also make a more lightweight ones, but are more for car camping and such:

http://www.campingcomfortably.com/grand-canyon-2-person-sleeping-bag.html

http://www.campingcomfortably.com/coleman-40-hibernation-2-person-sleeping-bag.html

Kelty makes a few as well:

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/KE10041

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/bagdetail.cfm/KE10031

As far as weight is concerned, it really depends on what temp rating you want, and what kind of fill.

It's pretty hard to fit two people into a single bag, just so you know (I've tried before). One idea is to get a bag that has the capability to turn into a blanket (some mummy bags do this as well), or one that can zip together with another bag. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I've benn looking at bags and for the money, campmor and others sell -20f bags for 64.00, cheap compared to others that are a few pounds lighter ..if your not carrying far i'd say these will do for 3 or 4 times less money...-20f is -20f rating in my book..anyone else have a different book??

I've benn looking at bags and for the money, campmor and others sell -20f bags for 64.00, cheap compared to others that are a few pounds lighter ..if your not carrying far i'd say these will do for 3 or 4 times less money...-20f is -20f rating in my book..anyone else have a different book??

I got the same book! One thing, too (thought it's kind of common sense), remember that the bag will be warmer because you have the combined body heat of two people (especially if you're spooning ;)) So I don't know if the -20F rating is taking that into consideration, but if they're not it might be rated to even lower.

-20f is -20f rating in my book..anyone else have a different book??
My book says -20F just means the manufacturer thought they could get away with it. Certain brands are known to sleep colder than others for the same rating. I've been in a Slumberjack once and never want to do it again.

well i guess that answers my questions on cheap ones to expensive ones....you get what you pay for right..i certainly wouldnt want to put my life into the hands of a bag that wont perform and waste the money only to need another bag.. thx for the insite.

Double sleeping bags sound romantic but they're like sleeping double ups in a twin bed. If you're an "active" sleeper - prone to rolling over and moving around - then neither of you are going to get a good night sleep.

-20f is -20f rating in my book..anyone else have a different book??

Yep, but the book I use isn't fiction. ;)

Do some searches here and on other hiking/climbing boards and you'll find a plethora of information indicating that mfgr's temperature ratings are about as reliable as political campaign promises.

One brand of 0-deg bag may sleep warmer than another company's -20 bag, so I'd recommend researching and or renting different bags before shelling out the sheckels.

YMMV, of course...

Double sleeping bags sound romantic but they're like sleeping double ups in a twin bed. If you're an "active" sleeper - prone to rolling over and moving around - then neither of you are going to get a good night sleep.
I have also heard that they tend to be colder than individual bags due to more air pumping in and out. Never tried it myself.

Doug

more ovaltine please.

There has got to be more heat from the friction between the two subjects...:eek::D

A number of sleeping bag models used to zip together if one had a left zip and the other had a right zip. Maybe some models still work that way.

A full rectangular bag generally has a zipper that runs all the way around the side and bottom, so you can usually zip two identical bags together. Check the slider and make sure the two sides of the zipper detatch completely, like a jacket. If so, you'll be able to zip two bags together. Open each bag completely and lay them flat, one on top of the other, and zip them up.

This works well for 3-season use, and tends to provide more space than using the two bags separately. But there is too much air movement for winter use. (You can't close the top of the bag very well.)

I have also heard that they tend to be colder than individual bags due to more air pumping in and out. Never tried it myself.

Doug

I have not found that to be true. The warmth of the two bodies (friction or not) keeps it quite warm in there. I also tend to get cold at night, though, so it could be relative to my usual sleeping experience.

I think that's why the Big Agnes sleeping bag double mummy is a good choice. It seems to do a good job solving that problem.
It is possible that my report of double bags being colder is based upon 2 single mummy bags zipped together. One could easily see some difficulty using the hoods and/or difficulty sealing the top of the bag between the two hoods. A purpose-made double mummy might avoid this problem.

Still, there would be an air channel between the two bodies that might increase the airflow and heat loss (particularly if the top of the bag between the hoods doesn't seal well).

Two rectangular bags zipped together would be a good solution for warmer weather.

Doug

It is possible that my report of double bags being colder is based upon 2 single mummy bags zipped together.

You just need to brush up on your spooning technique...:D