Slide Mountain from the west

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halia and flammeus

Reaction score
Portrait of a malinois at play (serious business!)
Hiked on 2/10/08

Trail was in that neither-here-nor-there-condition - approx 6 inches of light fluffy powder. We broke trail the whole way. We used snowshoes; too deep to bareboot, but lots of scratching and crunching on rocks. And I gracefully face-planted plenty of times - grrrr. I guess you are not supposed to step on one snowshoe with the other?

Lots of water to deal with at the lower elevations: unless conditions change, DON'T put your snowshoes on until after you cross the streams. The water is not too deep, but I lost count of how many streams there were on the yellow section of trail. More running water (but less tricky to deal with) on the lower parts of the red trail.

We did not encounter any ice at all. We experienced no need for traction aids.

Temperature difference from lower to higher elevation was dramatic - exposed summit ledge was intense! Wind whipping and naked rock, cloud shadows, and distant (and not so distant!) snow squalls visible from the viewpoints.

Be careful; plan thoroughly, and carry more than you think you might need. Flammeus reminded me to pack with potential injuries in mind - with all the falling I do, it is sobering but sensible advice.

enjoy :)

Halia and Flammeus