Slides

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TDawg said:
That reminds me of the landslide that caused the massive tsunami in Lituya Bay, Alaska, in the late 50's. It caused a world record wave (that humans have witnessed/measured), 1,720 ft. high! Just shows the power these things possess.

I took a flight seeing trip over lituya bay back in the mid-eighties (I spent two summers working in Glacier Bay, Lituya Bay is in the outer coatal region of Glacier Bay). I will post a photo or two (if I can find them in storage tomorrow) showing the wave height/tree-line. Thanks for the link TDawg, I haven't thought of that location for a while. An amazing place if y'all get a chance to head up there sometime.

Also, big WOW on the Sultan slide video.

Captured from a campsite four miles away, this landslide on the Trango Towers engulfs a couple thousand feet of the near tower. Even from this distance, the sound of the slide was like a freight train in a tunnel.

JohnL

jbrown said:
The people in the water were being pelted with rocks and dirt for a minute or so, then this whole section of the hill above them came loose and rocks, mud and trees rained down in this gorge and filled it to a significant depth.

Is it typical for small rocks and dirt to start tumbling before a slide happens? Sounds like there is at least some warning!!! Falling rock is my greatest fear while hiking.

A few years ago, in spring, a massive boulder was parked in the middle of Nancy Pond Trail, on the headwall section. Just uphill was a huge hole from where the boulder fell. Very scary! :eek:

Peakbagr said:
My understanding about slides is that when the gradient is just right, the underlying rock suitable, and the soil gets enough saturation, the slope can let go. I'm not sure the previous dryness would have anything to do with it once the soil reaches carrying capacity.
Dryness isn't always there.. the slide on the west of Nye was kicked off by an earthquake... but it definately is a contributing factor.

When the soil gets very dry, is 'shrinks' and pulls away from the rock somewhat. When there is a SUDDEN hard rain, the soil has not had enough time absorb the water and expand. I can't remember where, but at one time, I had a list of recent slides, and a great majority of them occurred after a dry spell.

Note that this is in the Adirondacks, and may not apply elsewhere. It definatley does NOT apply out west.

It hasnt been that dry, last week they got that big rainstorm which dumped over an inch and half. For dry conditions it usually occurs after a month without rain in hot weather, then torrential thunderstorms bring them down.The slide at redrock pond is very new, I think 1996, and is amazing to go to and explore. I want to start a slide club for winter climbing on all the major slides in the Whites. Arrow slide was amazing last year. -Mattl