Snowshoe questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactus Jack

Reaction score
Though this is still August, I got myself a pair of showshoes. Two pair, in fact. Sherpa Snow Claw. Now I can't find ANY information on them anywhere on the net, it seems. I guess Sherpa closed up shop? What are your experiences with these? Opinions? Suggestions?
Thanks!

I have been watching E-bay for the past few years, waiting to replace (or pick up spare parts for) my sherpas, but the sightings are few and far between.

Sherpa was bought out a few years back ~ Maybe 6-7 years back. They had actually ceased production, and then there was something like a family or father/daughter team that bought the remaining Sherpa product line and started to do repairs and such, but that quickly died out and they were very difficult to work with. I don't know what happened to them. I have their phone number and address somewhere, if I find it, I will post it here.
This was their old website Sherpa but it is since been inactive.

I agree with Kevin, hang on to those Sherpas, They are made with quality. Mine are pretty beat up but I love them. I have the 1.5" alpine claw - I wanted Sherpa update mine and put a heel Crampon on them as they had with their newer models, about 8 years ago, but they had nothing available at the time.

For the Gold Snowclaws, Sherpa used the white laces up until the early 90's and then switched to black laces and added a heel crampon option about the same time. My biggest problem was wearing my sherpas with my plastic boots. I ended up buying a solution from them for $20 in '97 - It was a nylon strap that attaches to each side of your heel strap and clips together over your ankle - Keeps the snowshoe from sliding off the rigid boot over time.

I did have several chances to buy the Bill Pratter step-in bindings, but both times thought the price tag was outrageous. Now I wish I had spent the money.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Hmmm. Not familar with theses snowshoes, the last few times I snowshoed I used wooden & leather lace-ups and they were as long as I am tall. Bulky bulky bulky. But I didn't sink like my partners did when we got to the powder.

So what is the best bining to get for these, where do I get it and how expensive are they?

I can't complain, really. Last spring I almost bought a pair of used plastic snowshoes for $80 (no, never bought snowshoes before so I have no idea what a good price is). These two pair I picked up for $15. Everything looks good so far. No damage, just basic wear and tear. I think they should last me at least a few years.

You got me all excited for winter now. This heat this summer is killing me. I can not wait until snowshoe season hits. Anyway I am not familiar with sherpas but I have had good luck with Tubbs as well as MSR's. I have heard a lot of good thing about sherpas though. I never got a pair because of the price. Way overpriced.

My first pair of snow shoes was wood n leather because they were cheap. I got the Sherpas back in the 70s and loved em ever since. I upgraded the crampon claws with larger ones I made from aluminum so I could get better traction uphill. I also put an anti skid pad under the heel of where your boot strikes. It's a small self adhesive 3x3 of flint paper like the stuff used on stair treads. It keeps the boot from sliding so much and also keeps the boot from wearing the decking out. I think I bought the last relace repair kit from Sherpa because they went out of business that week. I tried calling them to see if they shipped my kit and the line was down, I did get it the following day.

The Sherpas have been my loaner shoes since 1990 when I bought my Tubbs Sierras which are superb. The Sherpas will always have wonderfull memories and my son likes em alot because he didn't have to spend any of his money for snowshoes. I still have to relace them but the original lacing is holding out just fine. I may wait another year to do it.

Enjoy!