Snowshoe size

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
I’m in the market for some new snowshoes. I currently use an old wooden pair that I retrofitted with new bindings and cleats. Although I like the wooden shoes for breaking trail, they are too large and bulky (58”) for hiking above treeline. Here is my dilemma; what size should I get? It seems to be that most of the trails above treeline will already be broken out, or only have a few inches of fresh snow, so I do not need a large (36’’) snowshoe. I hover around 190lbs and even with a full pack I will only just slightly go over 220lbs, which seems to be the maximum for a 30’’ snowshoe. I figure that a 30’’ will do just fine 99% of the time and if I do need more flotation, I can always just go back to my wooden shoes. Your thoughts?

I went with MSRs and detachable tails, which has worked out fine.

The truth is that I put on the tails when I first got them, and have never taken them off. I doubt I ever will.

Steve

I would say go with the MSR's. SInce you already have the larger wooden shoes. The MSR's are great because you can add tails to make the shoe bigger. ALthough they dont float as well as a wooden or Tubbs, but they are great climbers and work well on packed trails like here in the NE. Size depends on 2 things your weight and snow depths.

I agree with Kevin. I have 30's and 25's and the 25's work in almost all conditions other than trailbreaking in deep powder with a pack. The 25's also tend to be lighter and easier on your legs after a long day.

Another vote for the 25's. I have both the 30's and 25's and I now use the 25's almost exclusively in the Whites. My last two big trailbreaking hikes I used the 30's and I was still up to mid thigh. Not so sure whether the 25's would have been much different.

JohnL

Just as important as length ( I, too, vote for the shorter) check out the teeth of the crampons and go with the most jagged.

Take a look at these as well - super-light; I love 'em, especially in fresher snow (I own the Backcountry model):

http://www.northernlites.com

I also own MSR Evo Denali Ascents and some tails, and prefer them on ice and consolidated snow, but have found them way less durable than I'd like (broken straps, lots of gouges out of the plastic, broken and missing keeper clips - all in one season of moderate use).