SOLO Wilderness First Aid Course - 10/23-24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Reaction score
The AMC Boston Chapter Ski Committee is hosting a SOLO Wilderness First Aid course at the Hale Reservation in Westwood on Oct 23-24. This course covers prevention, assessment, and treatment of many common and dangeous situtations that can occur in the backcountry. The course covers two 8-hour days with classroom and hands on sessions.

SOLO is the standard by which outdoors first aid instruction is measured. Here is their website and the course description.

Cost is $115. Please contact David Metsky ([email protected]) for details.

-dave-

You might want to check on how long the WFR certification lasts. It could be 3 years but my Wilderness EMT certification has to be renewed every 2 years. My state and national certifications also have to be recertifed every 2 years for the first 6 years and then every 3 years after that.

Also, in order for the Wilderness certifications (WFR,WEMT) to be valid you must also have valid certifications from either your State and/or the National Registry. You must also keep your CPR certification valid as well. You must be either nationally or state certified as a First responder or EMT to do what is taught in the class and have some protection under the law of most states. You will be taught things in the class that in many jurisdictions would violate basic life support protocols and would get you into serious trouble if you do them under the wrong circumstances.

The WFA class is another matter. Anyone is allowed to render first aid.

One of my instructors was Bill Kane and I cannot think of the other instructors name. I considered both of them to be excellant and would recommend SOLO's courses without any reservations.

Regards,
Keith

SOLO'S WFR is good for 3 years. You can recert with a WFA class and then take the WFR recert test (written) at the end. SOLO recommends the WFR refresher course as well.

My Solo 16 hour certification is valid for 2 years ... but I hope the lessons are retained longer then that. There are different standards for EMT or Widerness First responders. This was at least my third renewal and I always wonder whether my desire to not have to use it causes any repression of the course content.

I'd be very careful about "Anyone is allowed to render first aid". Not so simple either in practice or in law.

While I use it as a matter of responsibility for the groups I lead, I also think it makes me a better outdoorsman and it prepares me to be of assistance to others who venture beyond the safety net.

Bill Kane is a great instructor ... you won't fall asleep and you will learn a lot.

Hey Dave,
First Thanks very much for posting this. Second, can you give me an idea of where this is in Mass?? I looked at the directions for the Hale reservation, but not being from Mass I have no idea where any of those roads, or that town is. I'm trying to figure driving time from Kingston, NY. Then I have to see if I have that weekend open.
Will you be at the Gathering this weekend? I can ask you about it then.
Happy Hiking,
Tom

Since Al is a physician I suspect that he is allowed to do all that a WFR or WEMT is allowed to do. If my assumption is correct, what matters for him is the knowledge dervied from the course, not the certification.

Tom I do not know Kingston, NY, but if you are coming in the Mass Pike, a few miles outside of Boston, you will exit on 95 South (also known as Rte. 128. Only a few miles south, exit at Exit 16B toward Westwood on route 109. Take a right on Dover Rd. and Carby is the third strret on the left.

Last edited:
Believe it or not Dave, this course is just about as close as any other. The Oneonta course is a tad closer, but the dates are no good for me. The Catskills are not very well served by any WFA courses. I am trying to orgainize a local course, but in the meantime am looking to take one within driving distance where I can throw a tent up to sleep in at night.
Thanks Again,
Tom

Great course!

I took it last winter in Albany and learned a lot.

I'm sure it depends on the instructor - although I forgot his name he was excellent. He came from Wmstown, MA.

Sorry Al,

Didn't know you were a doctor. Didn't mean to offend.

My comments were aimed more at the people who have taken just a WFR course maybe don't do it often or know the differences between street medicine and wilderness (extended care) medicine.

Keith

There should be another opportunity for a two-day SOLO WFA course the week preceding the NH2005 High Pointers Konvention at Purity Springs Resort in East Madison, Labor Day weekend 2005.

Just a reminder, we still have a few slots left so if you are interested in taking this course, please contact me.

-dave-

David, I have a question. In the latest issue of AMC Outdoors there are two different SOLO courses being offered. One is listed within the pull-out catalog and the other is listed within the activity section of the magazine. The insert costs $195.00, while the other costs $130.00 to AMC members. What is the different between the two?

Kevin Rooney said:
SOLO WFA training is a requirement for a trip leaders in the NH Chapter of the AMC, with recerts every two years. Fortunately, the Chapter pays for the training as well as lodging.

Kevin, is this any SOLO WFA course or a course specifically sponsored by the NH Chapter? Also - is there any info on the web about NH AMC trip leader training/qualifications? Thanks.

Any SOLO WFA course will do, they all cover the same material and the committees don't care which one you take. You don't need to take the course sponsered by any particular committee, we just make an effort to make sure there are courses available.

The difference in price is usually because of lodging options and how much it costs to get the SOLO instructors. Since our course in Westwood requires them to travel and we need to pay for their hotel that gets figured into the price. Sometimes lodging for the participants is part of the cost, sometimes not. SOLO charges us $79/person but that may vary as well.

-dave-