some recent pics from the southern White Mts.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
I trashed my back on a hike a few weeks back so I've been taking it easy and taking short hikes and taking pics and trying to help NH F@G study moose.

This nice cow moose was in a lick...

088copyb.jpg

027copy.jpg

As I sat and watched her we heard another moose approaching. It's become a tradition to see a certain bull moose in April and I was hoping it was him. Then he appeared! It's Big Daddy!

160copy.jpg

Yay!!! As I sat and enjoyed his company I heard another moose nearby and went to see another large cow...

0481stcow.jpg

Big Daddy gets attention.

A black bear working an old log for insects...

015copy.jpg

029copy-1.jpg

034copy.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
This yearling bull has lost too much weight. His eyes are sunken due to loss of fatty tissue underneath the eyes. I hope he puts on some weight and makes it through his first year on his own...

184copy.jpg

146copy.jpg

168copy.jpg

Here's a nice big healthy bull...

299copy.jpg

380copy.jpg

309copy.jpg

391copy.jpg

416copy.jpg

happy trails :)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing those spectacular photos! Also, thank you for volunteering your time to help F&G study the moose population.
Your expertise will be an invaluable resource for them.

Love the pictures of the bear. I've encountered moose, but never bear. I've just missed bear, reported by passing hikers. Nice to see some evidence that they do exist.

Wow great pictures, I've never seen that sunken eye condition before.

Thanks very much, all. It's a pleasure to share.

The yearling bull is still with us; I saw him last night. Now I just spot him and leave him alone immediately. He probably lost the weight due to ticks draining blood. The body needs to replace blood so energy goes there instead of into building body mass. Now that the ticks have jumped off (he only had a few left as of last weekend) he can hopefully gain that weight and thrive.

All shots were taken with a Canon IS 70mm-300mm.

happy trails :)

Great shots FG as usual. Can the state get involved and capture the yearling for rehab or is nature left to take it's natural course? Thanks for sharing.