Some wildife sightings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Today as I was hiking down the Sandwich Mountain Trail, between the summit and the Smarts Brook Trail junction, I heard some sounds on my right. Looking I saw, maybe 15 feet from the trail, a mother moose and her child munching away. Since I felt that I was an intruder in their home, I moved away quickly while they continued munching.

I have seen very many moose on roads; in fact we have our own "neighborhood moose" on Rt 175 not far from where I live. But this is only the third time that I have seen moose while hiking.

The first time was several years ago, on the Davis Path between Stairs Mountain and Mount Davis. A single moose, left quietly when s/he saw me.

The second was more exciting, perhaps scary. Last year there was a mother moose who chose, unwisely, to raise her child near Chimney Pond. Surprise, she ran into very many humans!!! There was a sign warning that she had charged hikers in the past. Well, one day I met her, and she was standing in the middle of the trail, looking at me in a very unfriendly way. I back off, she followed me a little, then just stood there in the trail. Obviously I was not going to try and pass by her; she finally walked off into the woods.

I have seen bears twice while hiking. The first was on the Dickey Notch Trail, near the beaver pond. I saw a pair of young bears chasing each other playfully, just like kittens except that they were 100 times bigger. I never though about their mother until I left; she must have been on their side of the pond, so I was no threat.

The other sighting was less interesting; I was hiking down the Smarts Brook Trail when I heard the sound of a big animal moving through the woods. Sure enough, it was a bear, several hundred feet from the trail. I went my way and, fortunately, so did s/he.

Nice post. I love reading about wildlife sightings. Keep them coming :). BTW, for those who are afraid of wild animals, the best defense is a camera. Nothing will make a wild animal run away faster than trying to take its picture ;)

I saw the Chimney Pond mama moose two Octobers ago on the trail, with a baby also. One would think she would learn to put the nursery elsewhere. (I guess nobody ever said moose were smart) She did exactly the same thing to us that she did to you. If she had charged for real, we were toast. And it was well-nigh dark, so hard to know where to escape to.
Can't wait to see a bear. Now THAT would be cool.
Weatherman

Bill Silliker, the late wildlife photographer, once told a campfire story about a time in Alaska when he encountered a bull during the rut. He had waded out to some rocks off shore when an angry nasty mean looking bull came to stand between him and dry land.

As Bill told it, he explained to the bull that he had a very lovely cow and that he had absolutley no intention of coming between their relationship. The bull apparently concluded that this guy was nuts and offerred no competition so he calmly wandered off.

Baxter:
* A very large bull moose crossed the Chimney Pond Tr a short distance ahead of us.
* We saw some more in Sandy Stream Pond (pretty common, I understand).

The Whites:
* Saw a moose on the Gale River Tr close to the parking lot.
* Saw a large black bear along Mt Clinton Rd.

Monongahela National Forest (WV)
* Saw a black bear on the trail.

Glacier Ntl Park:
* A mountain goat crossed the Highline Tr a very short distance from me. Stopped and watched me for a bit and then headed on his way.
* Saw a bunch of grizzles raiding the dump at Granite Park Chalet. (The dump has since been cleaned up.)
* Rocky Mtn Sheep
* Pikas (eek!)

Yellowstone Ntl Park:
* Do black bears along the road count?

Rocky Mountain Ntl Park:
* Hundreds of elk
* do marmots count? :)
* Rocky Mountain sheep

Between Rocky Mtn Ntl Pk and Dinosaur Ntl Mon:
* Pronghorn antelope

Rainier Ntl Park:
* Mtn sheep or goats (don't remember which).
edit: sardog1 informs me that they must have been goats--no sheep there.

Probably more--I'll add them as they emerge from my foggy memory.

Doug

Add ons below:

Wakulla Springs State Park (FL):
* Alligators (1 shown in avatar)
* turtles
* a variety of water birds (anhinga, herons, osprey, egrets)

Tampa Bay (FL):
* Bald eagle
* Osprey
* a variety of water birds (herons, egrets, pelicans, etc)
* sailfish, dolphins

From a sailboat somewhere off-shore between Newport (RI) and Mt Desert Island (ME):
* A ~30ft humpback whale swam in formation with our boat for 10 min or so.
* sailfish

Canadian Rockies:
* Elk
* Mtn sheep

Last edited:
Today's sighting ...

Today I saw a gorgeous jet black fisher hunting an enormous snowshoe hare on Mount Wilson (East Peak) on the Long Trail. Right down and across the trail some twenty feet in front of me! Pretty amazing ... got to get quicker on the draw with the camera!

Then while sitting at the outlook two minutes later a smaller hare came to visit, who was practically hyperventilating he was so wound up. That might have been from seeing me, though ...

I've seen evidence of bears in the Smarts Brook area near the swimming hole, since there has been so much careless illegal camping in the area. I think it's a target area now. I've also seen tracks along the Yellow Jacket trail. And more that one bear has trundled across SNR in front of my car.

My most recent up-close-and-personal bear encounter in the area was a surprise meeting just past the gate on Beebe River Road. A bear and I scared the bejessus out of each other a few weeks ago.

I've seen a lot of moose tracks between Smarts and Chickenboro, and a few off of Millbrook, but no actual moose.

This spring, my dogs startled a deer that bolted towards me on small hill on east side of SNR opposite Atwood Pond. That got interesting for a few minutes while I scramble to get out of his way.

So far this year, I've managed to get out of the way fast enough.

Closest I've come to an "interesting" wildlife encounter recently was putting my hand on a banana slug on the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail last Wednesday. Neither of us enjoyed the experience. I'd much rather see a bear.

Last edited:
Rather than start a new thread let me resuscitate this one ;)

Today I hiked up the ski trails on Mt Tecumseh to the outlook, from where I took the trail to the summit. Down by Sossman and a mix of ski trails and service road.

Almost at the bottom of the ski trail on my way up I ran into half a dozen turkeys busy eating (seeds???). They completely ignored me allowing me to take lots of pictures. Here is one:

P1020860.JPG

I met up with the same (I believe!) female moose that I spotted on Sep 5 along the Georgiana Falls trail today. I posted a couple images of her here. She was no more than 10 feet off the trail but behind a wire fence almost directly underneath the I-93 southbound lanes. I stopped and talked quietly to her for a few minutes then walked right past her. She kept her eye on me but otherwide kept on munching her snack. My hands were too cold to get the camera out (it was 34 degrees) so no photos today.

I do have this photo to share of a mostly white deer in Acadia NP that I saw up there a couple weeks ago. At first I couldn't tell what it was because of the odd coloring.
5014999414_ef767e7349.jpg

In our family you don't get points for a wildlife sighting unless you have a photo. Otherwise it is an alleged sighting. ;)

JohnL

I do have this photo to share of a mostly white deer in Acadia NP that I saw up there a couple weeks ago. At first I couldn't tell what it was because of the odd coloring.
JohnL

I think that is a Guernsey-whitetail hybrid.

I do have this photo to share of a mostly white deer in Acadia NP that I saw up there a couple weeks ago. At first I couldn't tell what it was because of the odd coloring. [IMG said:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/5014999414_ef767e7349.jpg[/IMG]

JohnL

I think it's a giant white poodle ;)

Seriously...thanks for the pic. I have never seen a mostly white deer. Very nice! :)

This little fella was sitting on the highest point of Lassen Peak in August, just looking around as though it had worked hard to get there, but was probably looking out to see who was coming up with potential meals.