South Meadows Road Blocked

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOC-1

Reaction score
Concrete barriers have been installed to block vehicle access to S. Meadows Road from Adk Loj Road. Does anyone know the reason - temporary problem or the start of a permanent vehicle ban?

seem to remember same adam..I do think they block it every year during winter months from what i remember reading. I hope they dont block it..Guess it will put more money in the adk parking lot.

I haven't seen anything lately about permanent closure, but I had heard that was in the works as well. I'm guessing that right now they've blocked it because they don't want to plow it. Blocking it keeps 4WD trucks from tearing it up and makes for a nicer ski or shoe back the road. Skied back to the truck trail and up to the dam a couple weeks ago and it was really nice. Saw that quite a few people had shoe'd the Mt. Van Hoevenberg trail.

"Guess it will put more money in the adk parking lot."

Couple of points. ADK doestn't have anything to do with the South Meadow Rd or any barrier that might go up there. As crowed as the Loj parking lot is during winter, they really wouldn't be concerned about the parking lot capacity. As a non profit (and thats true in a literal way), most money the club takes in that doesn't go to running the organization goes towards wilderness advocacy....Their role in the Whitney, Tahawus, Domtar, Finch Pruyn wilderness acquistions are largely responsible for the thousands of extra acres outdoor enthusiasts will enjoy for generations.

I do not know of the 'official' policy but I was there in January and the road was blocked by barriers. There was still room for a couple of cars to park on either side of the barriers without blocking access.
It adds a little extra distance to your approach but it was nice skiing along South Meadows Road, especially as there is a slight downhill on the way back to the car. :)

The barrier was not there on Jan. 4 so it is relatively new. On busy winter weekends, it was not unusual to see 15 or more cars parked at the S. Meadows trailhead (many skiers heading to Marcy Dam). There is now space for perhaps 6. Plus, access to the car camping spots is now blocked.

Here's a thread from last year that discussed a possible road closing:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19868

Last edited:
"Guess it will put more money in the adk parking lot."

Couple of points. ADK doestn't have anything to do with the South Meadow Rd or any barrier that might go up there. As crowed as the Loj parking lot is during winter, they really wouldn't be concerned about the parking lot capacity. As a non profit (and thats true in a literal way), most money the club takes in that doesn't go to running the organization goes towards wilderness advocacy....Their role in the Whitney, Tahawus, Domtar, Finch Pruyn wilderness acquistions are largely responsible for the thousands of extra acres outdoor enthusiasts will enjoy for generations.

That being my point in both regards..As they dont have anything to do with it officially, I can ponder that closing the road will increase fees collected at the parking lot. That being said, political people can influence this decision. That being said.. I have no problem paying for parking, Is just nice if one wants to camp on the road to be able to do so as is now. I support ADK and the purchase of lands.

I drove down south meadow road on January 18th and skied from the trail head. They were still plowing the road at that point. To me an extra couple of miles of cross country skiing isn't a big deal. I find the old military road is usually better for skiing than the loj to Marcy dam trail which is often too hard and busy. The problem could be that there is not much room for cars to park at the junction of the two roads.

Reactions: arm
People were driving it early on, which they don't want because it makes the skiing crappy. That whole area is skiing focused in winter.

"As they dont have anything to do with it officially, I can ponder that closing the road will increase fees collected at the parking lot. That being said, political people can influence this decision."

According to the ADK North Country Director, out of the Loj, DEC didn't ask ADK's opinion any more than they would closing another road anywhere in the Park. I'm not even sure ADK was aware there were barriers there.
My comments on the parking lot and fees were more to the posts that have appeared here and on other hiking boards relative to parking fees. Lots of people who hike out of the Loj see the property as a place to change, shower and buy a soda and don't ever look at the outreach ADK does all over the ADKs for land acquistion. No offense was intended.

"As they dont have anything to do with it officially, I can ponder that closing the road will increase fees collected at the parking lot. That being said, political people can influence this decision."

According to the ADK North Country Director, out of the Loj, DEC didn't ask ADK's opinion any more than they would closing another road anywhere in the Park. I'm not even sure ADK was aware there were barriers there.
My comments on the parking lot and fees were more to the posts that have appeared here and on other hiking boards relative to parking fees. Lots of people who hike out of the Loj see the property as a place to change, shower and buy a soda and don't ever look at the outreach ADK does all over the ADKs for land acquistion. No offense was intended.

None implied or taken. I myself dont know much either but I will support them as long as they continue to secure lands for "we the people" to enjoy.

I recall reading in another thread that the South Meadow Road is maintained by the Town of North Elba. Could it be, simply, that the Town decided plowing the road in the latter part of winter was not economically wise, and so barricaded it?

I don't know the answer here. But I do know that usually these kinds of things happen without any elaborate conspiracy. If you really are interested in this, why not just contact the town highway department and ask what's up?

G.

...I don't know the answer here. But I do know that usually these kinds of things happen without any elaborate conspiracy. If you really are interested in this, why not just contact the town highway department and ask what's up?

G.

With a reasonable attitude like that you're liable to lose the rights to your username...:D

bad news

I don't mind it being closed for winter but in the summer that is one of my favorite places to camp.

A bit of an expansion on AOC-1's post. My understanding is that this a matter of the Town of North Elba not wanting to maintain the South Meadows Lane. I'm sure in todays economic environement this is certainly an area to cut cost. Of course the ADK Loj is going to profit on parking that is only logical in the Short Term. Convientley for the ADK this also plays into their Master Plan for the Long Term. I am not sure exactly where the delineations lie between the Town of North Elba, the ADK, and the DEC but my understanding is that South Meadows Lane is to be left to revegetate with the possibility of primitive campsites to be developed in the Lanes Place. Secoundly the DEC is going to provide land adjacent to the Lane to the ADK to build a new Visitors Center and Hiker Parking. Day Parking a the now current High Peaks Visitor Center is going to be removed and only LOJ Guests will be able to park there. Hikers will then have to hike up a new trail from the new Visitors Center to current trailheads. IMO this is the fan effect at work but times change.

I have talked to both the Town Supervisor (equivalent of mayor) and the Highway Superintendant about this issue. Despite the State Land Master Plan that says this road should be closed because it is non-conforming in a wilderness area, the Town of North Elba does not want to close this road and the DEC (not having been able to effectively close Crane Pond Road) is not pushing the issue. North Elba did stop officially plowing the road several years ago - both as a cost-saving measure and as a practical matter of having difficulty plowing after a big storm when there were cars in the campsites. (It seems that cars left there ended up being plowed in and needed heavy equipment to be dug out.)

Up until mid-January, the road was being plowed unofficially by a retired highway superintendant who apparently wanted to preserve the access for rabbit hunting. The barriers were placed to end any ambiguity about the status of the road as "seasonal maintenance". The ADK had no role in this closure.

As for the grand scheme to close the road and create a new combined access and parking area, it doesn't appear the state is going to have any funds available for such a project for many years, so I wouldn't expect any change for a while - if ever.

The response you got would imply that the barriers would then be removed once snow plowing (and possibly mud) season have passed ... did they indicate that at all?

Thanks Tony Goodwin for the informative post. Good to hear the S. Meadows trailhead will be accessible for the foreseeable future.

I have talked to both the Town Supervisor (equivalent of mayor) and the Highway Superintendant about this issue. Despite the State Land Master Plan that says this road should be closed because it is non-conforming in a wilderness area, the Town of North Elba does not want to close this road and the DEC (not having been able to effectively close Crane Pond Road) is not pushing the issue. North Elba did stop officially plowing the road several years ago - both as a cost-saving measure and as a practical matter of having difficulty plowing after a big storm when there were cars in the campsites. (It seems that cars left there ended up being plowed in and needed heavy equipment to be dug out.)

Up until mid-January, the road was being plowed unofficially by a retired highway superintendant who apparently wanted to preserve the access for rabbit hunting. The barriers were placed to end any ambiguity about the status of the road as "seasonal maintenance". The ADK had no role in this closure.

As for the grand scheme to close the road and create a new combined access and parking area, it doesn't appear the state is going to have any funds available for such a project for many years, so I wouldn't expect any change for a while - if ever.

Thankyou for jumping in here on this one and clarifying.