Spenco insoles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
In my constant hiking/biking, my feet are taking a beating, I came back from Campmor today and picked up a pair of Spenco insoles (the backpacker one) and put them in my Montrails. Anybody else use these insoles? I hope it will provide a bit more cushioning from all the rock hopping I tend to do. Anybody try these on before?

I finished the 21+ mile Suffern-Bear Mountain trail yesterday and thought my feet were going to become sushi. It all started from the Presi traverse and all that rock hopping once you're up on the ridge and hasn't ever healed..

Jay

"Soles"

Hi,

A quick search using the term "soles" yielded many threads on this topic.

My experience with the site is that it ranges widely on this issue.

For my part, I have three different foot problems and so have both custom orthotics and NSAIDs. I could not stand all day if it weren't for both of these and a well-made pair of Doc Martens. With Limmers, inserts & one of the hundreds of Vioxx substitutes, I have hiked successfully with only moderate pain.

Hope this helps,

--M.

Jay,

I don’t know about the Backpackers but the Spenco Day Hikers I’ve used for over a month are working out well. They have more cushioning than Superfeet and others I've tried. There's been little ball-of-foot pain since I put them in and the arch support is okay, too.

The Presi traverse was a while ago. How's the cushioning in your other, non-hiking shoes? I started wearing Crocs around the house a while back and a lot of old, nagging problems have gone away.

John, well since I'm a computer software guy, I wear sneakers pretty much every day :) so they're pretty good since I tend to have 'work sneakers' and yardwork sneakers, the work sneakers tend to last fairly long.

As far as my bike shoes go, they're old Diadora Jalapeno IIs which I commute on with my clipless pedals. But I've replaced the insoles on that too before. The only shoes with almost no cushioning are my road shoes which typically are already a PITA to walk on so I only use that on my road bikes that aren't meant for touring/commuting like my Look or my Seven.

I kind of should of bought them BEFORE the SBM hike, but oh well, wait til the next long hike and I'll try them out...

Jay

Spencos to Orthodics

Jay H - I wish you well with your foot ailments.
For many years, at least 15, I wore Spenco inserts and couldn't have run w/o them. I wasn't an ultra marathoner then or even a hiker, but I did upwards of 70mi/wk.
Then for some reason I thought to start using the custom orthodics that weren't flexible enough for running (back in the days when I was actually setting land-speed records ;-0) for hiking and eventually for trailrunning.

So my point is that although my orthodics are quite rigid, now I wouldn't trade them for the old Spenco favorites !!
I think that the custom fit disperses the loading on my feet and creates a more comfortable ride than the cushy pads. But then again that may only work for me because I have extremely high arches and the impact was only directed to the balls and heels.....

Take care and I again wish you well. :)
Inge

PS Maybe we should just stick with riding?????!!! :rolleyes:

PS Maybe we should just stick with riding?????!!!

I hear ya on that one... :) On my way to campmor I saw a mountain biker headed up the Cannonball trail that runs from Pompton Lakes to Ringwood State Park... I haven't biked that in a bit but last winter I skied it. It's a neat trail, slightly graded up as you go north, and you get to ski OVER I-287 on an overpass which is kind of unique.

Jay

I bought a pair of Spenco's after getting a recommendation from another forum member. I have lots of trouble with foot pain while I'm hiking and have tried a number of different insoles. These seemed to work the best of the bunch -- the pain isn't completely eliminated but I find I can get more mileage in before my feet start aching. (Prior to using these insoles, it only took around four miles, now I can get close to 10.)

They get a thumbs up from me.
-- Ivy

Used the Spencos backpackers on two dayhikes in the catskills this weekend, Lone+Rocky and then Friday+Balsam Cap and they worked pretty good. They seem to do a good job of preventing my feet from ever so minutely sliding around and preventing friction. Slightly more spongy so they do help a bit on descending rock gardens. I think they are a keeper for me. :)

Jay

Funny you should mention this...I also just purchased the "day hiker" spencos, and put them into my trail runners. They feel nice so far, haven't done any kind of sunstantial hiking with them yet, but they feel really nice in the arch, and seem stiff enough to help with roll overs...

Hopefully they will alleviate some of the foot pain.

Good luck

M

Jay H said:
I hear ya on that one... :) On my way to campmor I saw a mountain biker headed up the Cannonball trail that runs from Pompton Lakes to Ringwood State Park... I haven't biked that in a bit but last winter I skied it. It's a neat trail, slightly graded up as you go north, and you get to ski OVER I-287 on an overpass which is kind of unique.

Jay

How was that skiing? I've often thought about it as well...Riding its fun..

Oh yeah if you didn't guess, im in jersey too... :)

Close proximity apparently.

M

KMartman, howdy neighbor:). skiing the cannonball is pretty fun.. it's mostly uphill towards Ringwood/Ramapo. I skiied from Pompton Lakes to Ramapo Lake. It is really unfortunate that they have landowners grandfathered into the state forest because 1/2 the road around Ramapo Lake becomes plowed with messes up the skiing!!! I haven't skiied from Ramapo lake north but then I also know that it gets pretty steep in some sections there. I'm not a good enoughs skier to brave going down some of that stuff and I'm typically solo.

Jay

I think I will be getting a pair as well. My feet get killed on the rocks up here.

Question to those who have used these, since the price is the same, would there be any reason not to get the backpackers as opposed to the dayhikers since I would think the backpacker model gives better cushion?

Thanks

If your foot pain is specific and identifiable (like having just rock-hopped for 20 miles) and they feel much better within a couple days, the inserts may help. If there's enough room in the boot, leave their in-sole in under the insert, more cushion and insulation. If the pain is less specific but severe and remains, you may need prescription orthotics as they can target arches, pronation or supination, meditarsal support, etc that off-the-shelves can not. I've also had a lot of luck reducing foot, ankle and knee pain with regular (morning and evening) stretching exercises that target those areas.

I don't know exactly what the differences in the field between the dayhiker and the backpacker, but what they advertise seems to say there is some kind of "motion control" on the backpacker.

Best bet really would be to simply try both and see if you feel any different. Quite honestly, don't think they are that big deal different and they are the same price. I wonder if simply buying a sheet of foam material, cutting it out to the shape of an insole and putting it underneath the current insole would be beneficial! It would be cheaper.. :)

jay

Jay H said:
I don't know exactly what the differences in the field between the dayhiker and the backpacker, but what they advertise seems to say there is some kind of "motion control" on the backpacker.
I've seen the term "motion control" used to indicate arch support to prevent over pronation when looking at running shoes. Perhaps the same here.

Doug

Tuco said:
Question to those who have used these, since the price is the same, would there be any reason not to get the backpackers as opposed to the dayhikers since I would think the backpacker model gives better cushion?

Thanks
The product descriptions on the REI website look about the same with a difference being that the Backpacker is recommended for carrying loads over 25 pounds and the Day Hiker under 25 pounds. It may be that the Backpackers are trading some cushion for beefier support.

DougPaul said:
I've seen the term "motion control" used to indicate arch support to prevent over pronation when looking at running shoes. Perhaps the same here.
Doug

I think a lot of what you're seeing is marketing trying to sell expensive in-soles. Other than adding an extra layer of cushion and insulation, it would be some what "dumb luck" to find off-the-shelf units that would correct problems with arches, supination or pronation. And without that luck you might make matters worse.

As an example, a higher arch than normal is associated with excessive supination. This can be corrected (re-aligning your ankles, knees and hips - creating a much more stable platform) with wedges built into prescription orthotics. This solution would compound the problem if your feet over-pronate.

Chip said:
I think a lot of what you're seeing is marketing trying to sell expensive in-soles. Other than adding an extra layer of cushion and insulation, it would be some what "dumb luck" to find off-the-shelf units that would correct problems with arches, supination or pronation. And without that luck you might make matters worse.
Perhaps, but I have had problems apparently caused by non-motion control running shoes that do not occur with motion control running shoes (same manufacturer--New Balance). I suffer from overpronation if my feet are not adequately supported.

If your problems are severe, you are likely to require custom (or prescription) shoes and/or insoles. If your problems are mild, then an off-the-shelf solution may be adequate. I have been down the prescription route with custom insoles and one of the results is that I have learned how to better evaluate and choose off-the-shelf shoes and insoles.

BTW, one other insert that may be worth mentioning is Sof Sole. A totally elastomer rubber insert with some arch support and a bit of heel lift. (I used the hiker model.) Very good at absorbing shock, not quite a stable as a harder insole. I generally get similar comfort with these and Superfeet green. As usual, YMMV.

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul, you just earned a little green square from me !
I have a pair of New Balance running shoes that I can't run in, and now I know why ! :rolleyes:
I have high arches, prescription orthotics and over supinate.
I'm suffering from the exact thing I just warned against ! :eek:

"These shoes are rigid, durable, control-oriented running shoes that limit pronation.
Buy these shoes if you overpronate, you wear orthotics and want a stable shoe, or you have flat feet."

Chip said:
I have a pair of New Balance running shoes that I can't run in, and now I know why !
The New Balance website http://www.newbalance.com/ has info on what each shoe is designed to deal with: eg pronation, supination, flat feet, etc. Took a bit of work to figure out their features and model lines, but it was worth it for me. Turns out they have about 5 models that deal with over-pronation. They probably also have several models that deal with over-supination too.

I did my research and had a list of models-of-interest before going to the store. Was a big help.

Hopefully other suppliers also make similar information available, but I haven't checked.

Standard disclaimer: not affilliated with or endorsing any brand of running shoes.

Doug